1/48 P-47D, Lt Frank Oiler 84th FS, 78th FG Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just got done with primer and pre-shade, ready for paint. One last check on colors brought up this, I found it helpful and thought I'd share. More about RAF colors with some good primary sources.

RAF Color Reference

Overall, that's a reasonable assessment, but there appears to be some confusion, by the author, over colour names and periods introduced or used. For example, there are notes on some of the photos naming Sky Blue, or Sky Grey when the colour was Medium Sea Grey, and so on. Her also appears to have the post 1942 colours confused in some pictures with 1940 and early 1941 colours.
Given the amount of data and information elsewhere, I would tend to ignore this publication.

Overall, that's a reasonable assessment, but there appears to be some confusion, by the author, over colour names and periods introduced or used. For example, there are notes on some of the photos naming Sky Blue, or Sky Grey when the colour was Medium Sea Grey, and so on. Her also appears to have the post 1942 colours confused in some pictures with 1940 and early 1941 colours.
Given the amount of data and information elsewhere, I would tend to ignore this publication.

That's good news for me considering I shot Medium Sea Gray last night. Thanks, Terry. I also repainted the mags on the guns as you suggested. I mixed aluminum, white, and light gray and was pleased with the results, I'll post more pics this weekend.

I decided on hand painting the stripes instead of decals. Terry, I couldn't find a 1/48 cat to paint with but I used a cheap flat brush. What's the concensus, stick with these or spend $6 for decals...there's still time for delivery!

Attachments

• P 47 007.JPG
    P 47 007.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 138
looks good fatboris

I decided on hand painting the stripes instead of decals. Terry, I couldn't find a 1/48 cat to paint with but I used a cheap flat brush. What's the concensus, stick with these or spend $6 for decals...there's still time for delivery!

I'd maybe go the decal route Eric, Or at least see if they can be touched up some. I think the unevenness is a little too far out of scale.

Last edited:
happy0034.gif

Haven't looked in here for a while Eric, but from what I see, it's coming along nicely. I'm no expert like some of our fellow forum friends, but I agree with glen, the stripes are a little bit to uneven even if trying to portray the rushed job of D Day, and maybe the edges could be less rough, but all up I'd still go with the hand painted look. :):)

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Cool. Thanks for the honest feedback, guys, I appreciate it. I'll have to dig back in today and see if I can salvage it. Time to turn chicken s@#t into chicken salad. :lol:

hi eric i just measured the stripes on the P-47 they are 10mm wide yours look about right you might just need to use some tape to give them a more defined edge.cheers

Still a bit off but I think they turned out betterthis time. I also repainted the guns as Terry suggested.

Attachments

• P 47 004-crop.JPG
    P 47 004-crop.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 120
  • P 47 005-crop.JPG
    P 47 005-crop.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 128
I certainly wouldn't waste money on decals for the stripes, they never look right!
The real stripes were supposed to be 18 inches wide, which is 9.4 mm approx in 1/48th scale, so 9 or 10mm is close enough. They look to be about the right width, so just carefully straighten the edges of each stripe, using masking tape if neccessary. I normally just follow a pencilled line, drawn on the white background, taking it easy tto ensure my knackered hands don't throw a wobbly and paint abstract zig-zags picture all over the place!
If you think you might have problems with the fuselage stripes, then mask the edges of the white to paint this area, paint it, let it thoroughly dry, then mask for the black stripes and paint those. If you're using enamels, then a very small touch of thinners will make the job easier for the black; any paint bleed can be corrected later. I'm just so used to painting free-hand, and being an artist too, I've just accepted it as straightforward - I forget it can be difficult if you're not used to it!
EDIT: Crossing posts! They look acceptable now. For future reference though, paint with slightly thinned paint, and 'lay off' the brush strokes fully, to avoid a 'thick' look. If you're using acrylics, then there's not a lot you can do to improve the flow, as they aren't good for this sort of work brush painted. I find enamels much more versatile for brush use.
The guns and ammo feeds look the biz, nice job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back