George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A note- frequently the scores would not be added until after 8th VCB confirmed the credit, so a July 29 victory migh not show up for 6 weeks or so, but if the pilot was confident of a Destroyed rather than a Probable he might tell his crew chief to add it the same day.

I know from the pics of my fathers Mustangs, that the victory symbols didn't show up for at least one to two weeks.

Since no Machine Guns were supplied in the kit... I have to make my own. Since I won't be opening anything up, stretched Sprue will do.

Pics later!

Between looking at books for pics for other guys threads, and the Blue nosed bastards.... I got quite a bit done.

No machine guns were provided to I stretched some sprue.

Glued the guns in with CA glue.

Let those set for 20-30 minutes. Sanded the ends so they were even.

Sprayed the propeller cap. I think I did a good job on paint color

and then began fitting/gluing wings.

Attachments

• 102_6386.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 102_6387.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 102_6388.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 102_6389.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 102_6390.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 98
Good progress H. Don't forget, once the spinner, back plate and prop go together, you'll have to re-paint the spinner, to cover the joint.
I always assumed this was the Monogram kit, re-boxed, seeing as Revell and Monogram are the same company, but it's not. It looks like the Otaki or Fujimi kit. Strange; the Monogram kit had separate lower cowling, and separate gun hatch covers, with guns and ammo belts provided.

I thought it was the Monagram one too. Continuing the nice work H!

Harrison, the machine guns on the Mustang were staggered so that the feed chutes didn't clash with each other. The tip of the inner guns were actually inside the wing leading edge and all that stuck out was a sleeve. See pic.

Attachments

• l_cannon1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 98
Thanks Andy! So I'll just sand them down a bit. Well the inner one and the middle ones.

Shouldn't be too hard, will probably do that later if time is permitting.

Good point - I forgot to mention that! This is what sometimes leads to people thinking the inner guns were sometimes removed. The blast tubes, or 'sleeves,' on the inner guns normally ended (on period aircraft) just level with the wing fairing, which, in certain lighting conditions, gave the appearance of an empty gun position, as the muzzle itself was in shadow. As these blast tubes were often oversprayed when the wing was 'sealed', making them look 'silver', it made the illusion even stronger.

Wow H those seat harnesses look fantastic and your doing a great job on the other bits, guns are good to, but tell me, did you drill out the exhausts?

After doing the aluminum paint and the blue nose yesterday I began painting the white areas for where the invasion stripes are going.

It's coming out REAAAAALL good.

Users who are viewing this thread