German sharks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pampa14

Airman 1st Class
May 14, 2013
The most famous nose art of all time were not exclusive of the Allies during the Second World War. I share with you a fantastic collection of images, some rare and colorful, of various models of the Luftwaffe aircraft with the famous and feared painting. To view all photos, visit the link below:

Aviação em Floripa: Shark Mouths alemãs

Best Regards!

Thanks a lot for this link. Just for the records, not all of these planes belonged to the German Luftwaffe. Two of them are Swiss Air Force planes:

The third from top is a Bf-109 E3a from Fl Kp 21 during Winter 1943/44 at the Buochs airfield.

And the eight from bottom is a Bf-109 G-6 from Fl Kp 7 in Summer 1944.

Greetings from Texas

I was very interested in those Fw 190s with the Shark mouths!

One of them is obviously Fw 190 A-1 (one with larger black dots in the eyes). "FW 190 Aces of the Western Front" by Weal shows it on 96th page and says it was "war-weary" A-1 that was given these shark teeth while being used as training mount by II./JG 1 in March 1942. Some other profile makers did the profile of this aircraft showing it as "Rotte 7+-" but I am not able to confirm these markings since all three photos I have of it do not show fuselage in any way. Maybe someone knows where they got the info?

Second machine with sharper teeth and smaller black dots in the eyes is A-2, -3 or -4 (unable to be certain based on only photo I have available in Rodeike's book, also seen on your post).

Would be amazing if there were more photos of these two mounts laying somewhere available for us :)

Best,
Milos

Good stuff! Except (someone's gotta say it) the FW's look more silly than intimidating, first thing I thought was one of the silly sharks from 'Finding Nemo'... Sorry.

Somehow the 190s with teeth just didn't look all that menacing. The 110s were ideally suited to shark teeth. As a side note; Haven't seen Pampa14 around in a while.

I have to agree with you Peter & AT6! Those short "jaws" on 190s do look silly & cartoonish and do not give them the mean look. But considering they were training aircraft and not the fighter aircraft - that look is somehow justified. Don't you think? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back