Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osa Johnson...

watermark.jpg

watermark.jpg

watermark.jpg

These girls might look like movie stars, but they were pilots - Rumanian "Escadrila Alba" (White Squadron, 108-th medevac squadron of the Aeronautica Regala Romana, ARR).
escadrila-alba-romanian-pilots-women-heroes-world-war-2-famous-romanians.jpg

escadrila-alba-romanian-pilots-women-world-war-2-famous-romanian-people.jpg

person_burnaia8.jpg

Irina Burnaia
nadia-russo-escadrila-alba-romanian-pilot-women-heroes-ww2-famous-romanians.jpg

mariana-dragescu.jpg

Mariana Dragescu
627x0.jpg

RWD-13S
627x0.jpg

Smaranda Brăescu

Last edited:
Great post of the Romanian women pilots and the photo of Smaranda Brăescu has a great view of the Bf108's cockpit!
There are several books about the female pilots from the White Squadron, all of them AFAIK in Rumanian language:
41fCGpzlCML._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
escadrila-alba-biruitorii-oameni-cu-suflete-de-zei-de-george-acsinteanu-cartea-a-ii-a-p26890-0.jpg

116015672_1_1000x700_escadrila-alba-cristian-craciunoiu-si-jean-louis-roba-iasi.jpg
g9.jpg

But for me the most interesting fact is that as early as in 1944 an Italian-Romanian movie about (or probably based upon) the "White Squadron" was shown to the public:
MtMDRiMC00MTk0LWE1NWQtOTZjZjFmMWMwOWUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1NTA4ODQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,718,1000_AL_.jpg

Below actress Mariella Lotti in the movie.
tumblr_ndark8cGHu1sniqlho1_r3_1280.jpg

See IDMB @ Squadriglia bianca (1944) - IMDb

Looks like a great collection of books, but sadly, I don't know Romanian!

I've always found it interesting that the West was always more reserved in the respect to having female pilots, while the Eastern Europeans were more progressive. Matter of fact, the world's first female military pilot was Rayna Kasabova, of the Royal Bulgarian Aviation Corps, who at the age of 15, flew her first mission during the first Balkan War (1912)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back