Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
GettyImages-503032773.jpg

beta&t=q8-rWffJ_1ANj0bUWnz-zofT38cGrQXqhIWwUyM1mI4.jpg

And the description that comes with this is the best part:

"I'm an aerospace engineer. I have blonde hair. I like to wear makeup. I like to wear a skirt and sometimes heels to work (when it's not impractical or a safety hazard). These are just some elements (not all!) of my identity. Astonishingly, the last 3 do not reduce my technical knowledge or capability to be very good at the first one. ...

Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that's diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated.

Throughout my career I've constantly received exclaims of "But you don't look like an engineer!" when telling people what I do for work. While I'm sure these reactions were well meaning and none intended to diminish my achievements, they reflect a bias that is a very real barrier for women and gender minorities who want to progress an aerospace engineering career.

This sort of stereotyping perpetuates a bias (often unconscious) that appearance indicates a lack of technical capability for female engineers (in my case, traditionally feminine external traits). That bias results in women aerospace engineers feeling a constant need to prove their technical capability – capability that is often an assumed as a 'given' for male colleagues at the same level of career achievement.

Laying this out here, I am sure all those reading can see just how illogical that bias is. Blonde hair will not prevent me from understanding the fundamentals of physics. Wearing a skirt to work does not make me unable to understand how a jet engine works. Wearing makeup does not prevent me from understanding the technical regulation requirements for space launch.

I am proud to be a founding member of Women in Space Aotearoa New Zealand - a network created to support (and celebrate) women and gender minorities working in New Zealand's space sector, and those who want to. WISANZ is dedicated to pursuing gender equity in the New Zealand space sector, and we shine a spotlight on our members who are contributing to and excelling in all space career fields – including those seen as traditionally male.

The more we can show women and gender minorities doing all sorts of careers, the greater chance we give the next generation of women and gender minorities to see no barrier to achieving their dream space jobs - no matter how they like to present their identity to the world through their appearance.

[Full disclosure: The bottom photo was taken four years ago by a professional photographer with phenomenal lighting. This is NOT what I look like every day at work – as my colleagues can attest!]"

:pilotsalute:

raaf8668866_0098.t62283feb.m2400.xS6lgRCaG-CKJxOby.jpg

Royal Australian Air Force crew attendant Leading Aircraftwoman Hannah Heaney supports aircrew on board a KC-30A multi-role tanker transport during air-to-air refuelling operations with a P-8A Poseidon as part of Exercise Diamond Seas 2022.

View attachment 661100

And the description that comes with this is the best part:

"I'm an aerospace engineer. I have blonde hair. I like to wear makeup. I like to wear a skirt and sometimes heels to work (when it's not impractical or a safety hazard). These are just some elements (not all!) of my identity. Astonishingly, the last 3 do not reduce my technical knowledge or capability to be very good at the first one. ...

Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that's diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated.

Throughout my career I've constantly received exclaims of "But you don't look like an engineer!" when telling people what I do for work. While I'm sure these reactions were well meaning and none intended to diminish my achievements, they reflect a bias that is a very real barrier for women and gender minorities who want to progress an aerospace engineering career.

This sort of stereotyping perpetuates a bias (often unconscious) that appearance indicates a lack of technical capability for female engineers (in my case, traditionally feminine external traits). That bias results in women aerospace engineers feeling a constant need to prove their technical capability – capability that is often an assumed as a 'given' for male colleagues at the same level of career achievement.

Laying this out here, I am sure all those reading can see just how illogical that bias is. Blonde hair will not prevent me from understanding the fundamentals of physics. Wearing a skirt to work does not make me unable to understand how a jet engine works. Wearing makeup does not prevent me from understanding the technical regulation requirements for space launch.

I am proud to be a founding member of Women in Space Aotearoa New Zealand - a network created to support (and celebrate) women and gender minorities working in New Zealand's space sector, and those who want to. WISANZ is dedicated to pursuing gender equity in the New Zealand space sector, and we shine a spotlight on our members who are contributing to and excelling in all space career fields – including those seen as traditionally male.

The more we can show women and gender minorities doing all sorts of careers, the greater chance we give the next generation of women and gender minorities to see no barrier to achieving their dream space jobs - no matter how they like to present their identity to the world through their appearance.

[Full disclosure: The bottom photo was taken four years ago by a professional photographer with phenomenal lighting. This is NOT what I look like every day at work – as my colleagues can attest!]"

:pilotsalute:
Today, I completely read the description, and really loved it.

And I really wish to see such a world, like her.

Thank you, GTX GTX , for sharing this; and best wishes for her.

I hope to be able to see her, someday, somehow, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back