Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In "The Tibbets Story", Gen. Tibbets tells of his many flights in C-54s while preparing for the 509th's missions:

"Piloting many of these flights, in the C-54s attached to our unit, were two of the most competent multi-engine pilots I ever hope to meet. Their names were Dora Dougherty and Helen Gosnell. I liked to assign them to the shuttle flights and other missions because they were more dependable than the men. By that I mean that they always returned from a mission when they were supposed to. It was a well known trick among male pilots, and one that was often winked at by their superiors, to find something mechanically wrong with their airplanes during a trip to a base that happened to be located near a city which had interesting sights to see and an exciting nightlife to enjoy. The probability of a "malfunction" increased in almost exact proportion to the number of bars, nightclubs, and available females that a city was known to have. Crewmen have even been known to disable an airplane in some minor way as an excuse to stay overnight, or a weekend. With Dora or Helen in command of an airplane, I didn't have that problem"

I have a similar photo but with NAA workers and a B-25D during a flooding after heavy rains in the area of the Kansas City Factory:
Ef6mr4n.jpg

Cheers!

It was tried during the war, while the mechanical work/standard of maintenance was excellent the electrical draw from the massed curling irons caused repeated blackouts both on the base but also the surrounding area ;)
And Security found it a little unsettling when expected to deep search departing Riveter Rosies at the end of each shift for "liberated" tools and aircraft parts reported to be migrating to the black market.

Last edited:
quite a rare one, female in german war industry Schlosser ( craftsman skilled in operating machine tools) am Flugzeug Motor der FFS AB 32

1667602725350.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back