Girls and Aircraft - Volume II (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

a54e7ac5bfb2b928e8f5e641656fc29e.jpg

This lady was the wife of the officer that tried to kill Hitler with a bomb. She was a noted pilot and on 8 April 1945 became Germany's first female pilot to die in action when she was flying a Bucker Eu181 from Buchenwald to Regensburg. She had gone to visit her husband and other family members who were imprisoned in the concentration camp and found they had been moved to Regensburg, near Berlin. She was shot down by a P-51 and killed. From a video on Youtube by Mark Felton Productions.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 13-29-05 Female Luftwaffe Pilots in Combat 1945 - YouTube.png
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 13-32-31 Female Luftwaffe Pilots in Combat 1945 - YouTube.png

This lady was the wife of the officer that tried to kill Hitler with a bomb. She was a noted pilot and on 8 April 1945 became Germany's first female pilot to die in action when she was flying a Bucker Eu181 from Buchenwald to Regensburg. She had gone to visit her husband and other family members who were imprisoned in the concentration camp and found they had been moved to Regensburg, near Berlin. She was shot down by a P-51 and killed. From a video on Youtube by Mark Felton Productions.

View attachment 705672View attachment 705671

Melitta started working for the Deutsche Versuchsanstalt für Luftfahrt (DVL), an experimental institute for aviation, in Berlin-Adlershof 1928. She also took flying lessons. Because of her Jewish ancestry she was released from the German Luftwaffe in 1936. Working for Askania in Berlin, she developed navigation and steering systems for seaplanes such as the Blohm + Voss Ha 139 and the Dornier Do 18 . She married the historian Alexander Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg in 1937.

On 28 October 1937, she qualified as a aircraft captain, a rank reserved for test pilots in Germany at the time, and became only the second woman in Germany, after Hanna Reitsch , to achieve this. She eventually gained licences for all classes of powered aircraft, the acrobatic flying licence and the glider licence.

From 1942, Melitta Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg continued her test-flights at the Luftwaffe's technical academy in Berlin-Gatow. She was was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class on 22 January 1943 an made her dissertation for her Masters qualification in 1944, and received an A grade. She then became technical chief of the Versuchsstelle für Flugsondergeräte , another test institute, in the same year.

Her brother-in-law, Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg , frequently asked Melitta in May and June 1944, to fly him from Berlin to Hitler's Wolfschanze headquarters and back. He confessed to her his plans to assassinate Hitler, and in spite of the danger she agreed to help him. She had no suitable plane to fly on 20 July 1944, and that is why the assassination attempt took place without her

On 8 April 1945, while transferring a small Bücker Bü 181 Bestmann Southern Germany, Melitta Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg was shot down by a US fighter near Irlbach/Strasskirchen, Bavaria at 7:40. Pilot of the US fighter shout be 1 Lt. Thomas A. Notboune. She crash-landed the aircraft, but died a couple hours later in Straubing (Data s.Wiki)

There are more than these version of the shot down and more versions, how she died after the shot down. I try to find an evidence for a shot down by an US fighter. Thank you very much, if anyone can help in that case.
Greetings from Berlin / Germany
Detlef

Jackie Moggridge (born Dolores Theresa "Jackie" Sorour), during the Second World War she left South Africa for England and joined the ATA Hatfield Ferry Pool on 29 July 1940, being the youngest of the female pilots to take part in the Battle of Britain, aged just 18.

Colourised version:

26734484_771987073001172_1191686687898610138_n.jpg

I just ran across this and I don't think I've posted it here before.

WWII Aircraft factories in SoCal must have been great places to meet women.
b-17fdouglas-jpg.jpg
Ah yes, women in Cali makin' planes. I think I personally posted this pic a couple of times.
That was a great little pictorial.
....and I still wouldn't mind buying that lady in the pink shirt a drink. ;) :kissingheart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back