Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From British & Commonwealth Forces

Remembering Jackie Moggridge – the youngest World War II Air Transport Auxiliary pilot who safely flew over 1,500 aircraft during the war. There is now a Jackie Moggridge Spitfire RAF Award in memory of the pioneering aviator, and it is awarded annually to the 'Best female aircrew or engineer who has demonstrated outstanding potential.'
Lest we forget
1f33a.png

_7a0P7&tn=7DKqi-k1KBKFOG1F&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg

We met a young guy in the mid 80s at the airport who owned an Ercoupe. He had taken his flying lessons in it and soloed in it. He had 122 hours in it and still on his student license. The reason. He just wanted to fly and was not interested in cross country or taking a passenger.

Martin and Osa Johnson with their Sikorsky's (S-38 and S-39) during various explorations they made in the 1930's.

View attachment 706463

View attachment 706464

View attachment 706465
Her Book "I Married Adventure" is a great read too - highly recommend.

Her and her husband Martin were true adventurers who also pioneered many things. Their S-38 and S-39 are some of my all time favourite aircraft - so much so that I plan to build a model PBY-5A in a Tiger scheme as somewhat of a tribute (I would love to have a real one in same...but that's another story).

You can see some more images here (example below) and some of their videos are on Youtube as well

s39H85_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back