Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
66941.jpg

Is that stubble on the chin V2????

Attachments

• F1enMAKS20012.jpg
    F1enMAKS20012.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • F1enMAKS20013.jpg
    F1enMAKS20013.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • F1enMAKS20014.jpg
    F1enMAKS20014.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,028
Sorry not the best photo quality but this photo was taken this year at EAA. Source of photo. EAA Sport Aviation Magazine.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 931
Njaco: I like the one with the four ladies in front of the B-17. Wonder
where they are today ?

My kinda ladies !

Charles

Charles/Njaco-The ladies' names are from left to right: Frances Green-Kari (1921-1994), Margaret Kirchner-Stevenson ( -1998), Ann Waldner-Currier, Blanche Osborn-Bross (1916-2008). Of the four only Ann Waldner-Currier is still alive. Members of the Women's Airforce Service Pilots. The picture was taken after a training flight at Lockbourne Army Air Force Base, Columbus, Ohio. This was where the WASP that were to fly B-17's were trained. I've been doing some digging and I'll tell you something, this is a pretty interesting bit of history. One of them was married to the inventer of the polygraph test, (they were both criminologists) another was the first Chinese-American female to fly for the U.S. military after being told by her own country no thanks in flying against the Japanese. Several went on to become high ranking U.S.A.F. officers, one became involved in the space program as an aerospace scientist and qualified as an Astronaut (did not fly as). What little information I have does not do these ladies justice, so I am awaiting permission from the Texas Woman's University Library for permission to use the information, photos and manuscripts they have. They are the only authorized offical WASP Assn repository as voted on by the remaining survivors of WASP. There are several websites and spin off associations, but the amount of information here is incredible. So as soon as I receive their permission I will post more information, as I am sure you would rather hear their story in their words and not mine. All of their pages have warnings on them. These women did not just open the barn door for today's female military pilots, they burned down the barn afterwards.

STATS

Here is a link to some statistics. Of interest is at the bottom, comparison of pay to "equivilent" male officers. The WASP had to pay for everything, including room and board and clothing. They were not given military/veteran status until 1977. Also note they a better safety rating per 1000 hours than their male counterparts.

Will write more later, take care,
C2

A Cod driver!

You gonna hang around or just be a one post wonder? Sure could use your wisdom here C2.

A Cod driver!

You gonna hang around or just be a one post wonder? Sure could use your wisdom here C2.

Yeah, I'll be around, I'm not that easy to to get rid of. I was a Loadmaster, Yeah, Yeah, before you jokers get around to it, I've heard all the jokes already. If you have one I haven't heard, I'll send you a slighty used pint of your favorite ale. Although a lot of the pilots would let us get seat time. For me it wasn't real hard as I already had a pilots license.

I've been spending most of my time trying to find a job. Came back from vacation two weeks ago to find GM bought out and closed our dealership. So I've been kinda busy.

What is up with the smiley faces. Those are supposed to be # 8's. Anyway so we stay on topic here is my contribution.

Take Care,
C2

Attachments

• Shaq1.jpg
    Shaq1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,194
  • ShefoeLuke.jpg
    ShefoeLuke.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Shock_and_165.JPG
    Shock_and_165.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,325