Gliders Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Three Golden Oldies
Bristol Fighter
Bristol Fighter web.jpg

Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Pup web.jpg

Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Triplane web.jpg

Good stuff. I remember all of those accidents, particularly the horrendous crash with 'Hoof' Proudfoot in the P-38.
The Blenheim actually had two collisions with the ground, being rebuilt as a MkIV after the first, and as the current Mk1f after the second.
The Mosquito crashed at the air show at Barton, the first time I hadn't been on fire crew duty at the air show for years - a very sad day for all concerned.

Now for something slightly different. In our area we have the remains of Thornton Abbey built around 1380. The Abbey is totally demolished but by a quirk of fate the Gatehouse is pretty much complete.
The Gatehouse is very impressive. The Abbey must have been huge
Thornton Abbey Gatehouse web.jpg

You can go inside via the narrow corridors
Thornton Abbey corridors.jpg

Inside one of the two main halls, notice the carvings in the corners of the room
Thornton Abbey Great Hall web.jpg

I found it interesting that one of these was clearly of a woman who isn't an angel, in an Abbey
Thornton Abbey ceiling carving web.jpg

The platypus of the aircraft world (but I still like it).

I was at an airshow at Duxford where they have an AEW Gannet. In front of me were two Americans looking at it for quite a time without saying a word, when one leant over to the other and said 'do you reckon British pilots can refuse to fly their aircraft because there so damn ugly'

I had to laugh and they were a little embarrassed, but I told them that I could see their point.

A very mixed three this time
The Airbus Super Transporter. I am sure we have all seen photos of this, but nothing can really prepare you for just how big this thing is when you see it for real
Aibus Super Transporter web.jpg

Sea Dart Target - At the time Bae were trying to sell the Sea Dart missile system, so they brought a target which had been shot down in testing, with other target/testing systems
Sea Dart Target web.jpg

A Pirat Glider. I still think of this as 'my Pirat' when in reality it was a club glider I used whenever I could and it was in this I really learnt how to fly. Forgive the quality it was taken forty five years ago with an instamatic
Pirat Glider web.jpg

A few more
Every groundcrew of every airforce, of every nation, at any time will agree with this sentiment
Ground Crew verse web.jpg

PV8 Kitten This must be the smallest manned aircraft ever designed for combat. If it helps that chap is about 5ft 3in
PV8 Kitten web.jpg

Nimrod's Galley
During the Falklands there were many very long flights in the Nimrod and crews often got bored. Two female crew members decided to bake a cake, which they did, it went well and was appreciated by one and all. This started an inter crew battle and the winner was one crew that baked a three layer wedding cake including icing and all the trimmings. Quite a culinary feat in so small a place and the landing was the gentlest ever done by the pilot, who was under all sorts of threats if he messed up.
The oven has the silver front with the white handle, the fridge being the larger silver fronted compartment.
One crew was infamous for going to the Supermarket buying tins of meat, tins of potatoes, carrots, peas and another of pears. Yes, you guessed it, they put the whole lot in the pot on the hot plate and had it together. They swore that the pears made the difference
Nimrod Galley web.jpg

Nimrod Copilots seat
A very, very low tech solution to a problem. If you look at the fourth window from the left you can just make out a piece of Perspex which has horizontal lines and a faint red circle. That believe it or not, is the sight for the Sidewinders carried by this Nimrod
Nimrod Co Pilots seat web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back