Gliders Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This sounds a little odd but I cannot remember which submarine I was on. I have been on three different submarines and cannot remember on which one I took the following photo's. .
Engine Room
Engine Room web.jpg

Torpedo Room
Torpedo Room web.jpg

Unknown position web.jpg

This is a boring shot but I think it's one of the first A300B2 Airbus which it's fair to say broke the almost monopoly the USA had in large airliners
A300B2 Airbus web.jpg

Next the RAF F4 obviously taken in 1979
RAF F4 web 1979.jpg

Last a disappointing shot of an Alpha Jet and a Do28. It does show how keen people were at that time to sell the trainers as strike aircraft. An interesting point is that I live almost on the perimeter of the local parachuting Club, and they use the Do28 in the club.
We did come back from shopping one day and found an unopened chute in the front garden. All my wife would say was 'Where's the body'.
Alpha Jet and Do28 web.jpg

Next the RAF F4 obviously in 1979.
In 1973 the Ark Royal visited us in Key West for a little ACM exercise, Spey Phantoms vs J79 Phantoms. Totally embarrassing. In a week of dogfights not one of our birds escaped being shot down, and not one scored a kill. To add insult to injury, a couple of Buccs sneaked in on the deck at the speed of heat, popped straight up into the furball undetected (NVAF style), picked off a couple of our Phantoms, and escaped unscathed. This particular engagement was the "big show" finale, a 6(RN) vs 8(USN). The RN guys were regular line pilots; our crews were Topgun trained instructors. Ouch! I had a part time job on the side as a fueler, and noticed that our planes took on significantly more fuel than theirs after each hop. That Spey had to be a $hit-hot engine. But like everything else British, they left puddles on the tarmac.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Interesting as the UK pilots generally preferred the J79 to the Spey. The Spey was more powerful so if the US pilots tried to use the vertical they would be in trouble but the J79 had a much better throttle response so tended to be more flexible. The UK F4's were slower as the changes increased the drag.
The RAF used to think that the best F4's in the fleet were some J79 powered aircraft purchased after the Falklands as they were updated with better radars and Skyflash missiles giving them the best of both worlds.
As an aside the USN were not that keen to fly FAA F4's from their carriers as the jet exhaust from the Spey was a lot hotter than the J79 and tended to damage the deck / blast shields.

The RAF used to think that the best F4's in the fleet were some J79 powered aircraft purchased after the Falklands as they were updated with better radars and Skyflash missiles giving them the best of both worlds.
They were probably using dash 12 engines. In '73 we were still on dash 10s. (Wwooowwwoooww) as the exhaust nozzles and BLCS adjusted to different power settings.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back