Gloster Meteor v Messerschmitt ME-262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

'Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG was the name of Messerschmitts company"
the bayerische flugzeugwerke (BFW) was created by the reichsverkehrsministerium,the bavarian state goverment and the banking house of merck.finck und compagnie later on the messerschmitt flugzeugbaun G.m.b. H was part of it no the opposite

Yes youa re correct and Willy Messerschmitt joined the BFW in 1927 and set up a design team. With this Bf-109 Design they incorporated a seperat company Messerschmitt AG on July 11 1938 with Willy Messerschmitt as chairman and managing director. BFW was renamed to Messerschmitt AG also on that date.

something that I posted on WW2talk.com

"That, then, was the Me 262, variously known as the Schwalbe and the Strumvogel. But whatever the appellation, it was in my view unquestionably the foremost warplane of its day: a hard hitter which outperformed anything that we immediately available…."
Brown RN, Capt Eric., Wings of the Luftwaffe, Airflife, 1979, P68

the Good Captain had flown both the ME262 and Meteor

I'll go with THE guy who flew both crates assessment. Adolf Galland said the 262 would win over early (WW 2) Meteors. He said the post-war Meteor engines were better that the Jumos.

The Bf in Bf 109 comes from the 1925 merger with WW I, 62-kill ace Ernst Udet's Bayerische Flugzeugwerke. He was the original owner, not Willi Messerschmitt who was later a partner. As of 1932 Messerschmitt was the sole owner thanks to an unprecidented huge loan from the Air Ministry. The early Messerschmitt aircraft retained the Bf in their designations like the Bf 109 and 110.

Part of the problem with the Meteor was to do with the aerodynamics in particular the engine nacelles, it wasn't the engines. When these were extended it added 75mph to the performance of the Meteor III. This made up up to a large degree, the difference between the two planes.

This comment is incorrect.

Originally Posted by GT
"The first jet victory in history was actually on 9 Nov 1950 and was claimed by the a American pilot and the claim was supported by the Korean side.

On a mission from the USS Philippine Sea, 2 MiGs attacked the Strike Group and VF-111 commander Lt/Col William Amen flying a Grumman F9F-2 Panther got on Capt. Mikhail Fedorovich Grachev tail, unloaded several bursts of 20mm fire and the MiG went over into a dive and crashed into hill."

The following was copied from the official Navy Historical site.

The Air Force first encountered MiG-15s on 1 November, and a F-80 "Shooting Star" jet downed one on the 8th. The next day, as Navy planes came to northwestern Korea to attack the Yalu River bridges, a "Panther" from USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) scored the first MiG kill by a carrier plane. On 18 November, as the bridge campaign continued, F9Fs from USS Leyte (CV-32) and USS Valley Forge (CV-45) each got another MiG-15, bringing the Navy's total to three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back