God not another Lanc' lol (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ian, have you established if the '?' means the call-sign letter is unknown, or if it was actually the '?' character?
This character is not uncommon, normally painted on temporarily until an official call-sign letter has been allocated. If it is a '?', which you probably can't get on a decal sheet, just print one onto clear ink jet decal paper.
BTW, another nice model mate!

-cut-
Widcat and Bikerbabe !. The person who has asked me to build this model for him is done like this because he had cousins on both Lanc's and as you've found out they both crashed and were all killed, It's his way of paying a fitting tribute to both crews of the Lanc's JB657 and W4988.

Glad you like the 'twin' bomber it's a shame i can't keep it.

Still need the code letter though :) so if anyone knows......:p

ian.

Hi again Ian.

PHEW, I thought I was being a real spoil sport here, but of course there's a reason! *wipes sweat off forehead*
I ought to know that when all you attention-paying, detail-focused model-building guys set to work on something! *palmface* :lol:

Cheers,

Maria.

which letter is it that u need Ian?

Thats just it i've no idea and neither has Dan, the new owner to be he has searched high and low
for this letter and came up blank :cry:

We have.....

AR * Q, W4988. This is complete. But where still looking for AR * !, JB657, The ! is the unknown letter we need, if you get my drift O:)

Ian, have you established if the '?' means the call-sign letter is unknown, or if it was actually the '?' character?
This character is not uncommon, normally painted on temporarily until an official call-sign letter has been allocated. If it is a '?', which you probably can't get on a decal sheet, just print one onto clear ink jet decal paper.
BTW, another nice model mate!

Have a look here Terry for the 'talk about' of the missing letter :(

Lancaster-Archive Forum • View topic - Codes needed for two Lanc's

If anyone knows of the letter to the Lanc' JB657, i'm all ears :D

Oh and i'm glad you like it guys :thumbleft:

ian.

Lovely build Ian! 8)

How are you going to mail it without it getting damaged?

Glad you like the Lanc' muller, and the other guys too :)

As for sending the model off i've made several boxes in the past and i pack the model in foam
and tubes you don't want the model to be firmly affixed in the box, but allow a certain movement
like a shock absorber on a car :shock: Plenty of sponges does the job nicely.

Just started to make the Lanc' sit on a bed of foam.

lancasterinbox001.gif

I agree! It'd be shame if a beautiful build like that got damaged in transit, it looks fairly safe in that box.

That's a lovely looking Lancaster Ian, I also like your packing method, it looks good, but I'd be on edge until I knew it had arrived safe.
What scale is this one?
:hotsun: :hotsun:

That's a lovely looking Lancaster Ian, I also like your packing method, it looks good, but I'd be on edge until I knew it had arrived safe.
What scale is this one?
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Hi Vic',

It's only 1/72nd.

I've posted out 5 bombers just like the one in the picture and all arrived safely, it gets fastened down even more with elastic bands and sponge. I try not to post in the summer as it gets very hot in Ships and Cargo Planes and has a tendancy to distort them from the heat :oops:

As you say i'm too on edge until i know its arrived safe, some people can't even be bothered to tell you that :twisted:

Back to my other bomber :rolleyes:

Hey Lucky13 ! I'd like to build a 1/48th job but something keeps telling me to make this little things :p

ian.

Good work on tracking down that missing code letter Ian. Where did you fin out? I've been looking in every place i can think of, including the ORB, but couldn't find anything.

Good work on tracking down that missing code letter Ian. Where did you fin out? I've been looking in every place i can think of, including the ORB, but couldn't find anything.

Hi Terry,

The info was actually sourced from 460sqd a group of old fella's who are still alive and kicking and one of them could actually remember that plane, be it for a very short time. This group of fella's are still at Binbrook.

ian.

Great stuff mate! BTW, you might have seen it, or might have it, but if not, have a look at the book 'Ton-Up Lancs', by Norman Franks. It covers all known details and pics of the ALL the Lancs that reached and/or exceeded 100 ops, with the ops listed, Squadrons etc, and details of 'change of ownership'. For example, 'S for Sugar', now in the RAF Museum, is covered in detail with all the squadrons she served on, and apparently she was a bit of a dog!
Just got a copy from the local library, and it's a very interesting read. Quite a few of the photos hadn't been published previously, as they came from former crew or groundcrew members and so on - quite useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back