Got Swede Vejtasa on the Phone Yesterday...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember that episode. That was some flying!!!!

Just tell Swede HI from a vet that looks up to people like him! And thanks for serving!

Bill G.

WOW.....feel all, what's the word....humbled? That's just fantastic Dan!

Would it be possible to get a signed photo of him for my PTO GB of his SBD?

Had I talked with the gentleman, I'd probably just go on about his time on USS Yorktown CV-5....:oops:

Hi Jan,

here are the pics I got from Stan last year...those are more than gold for me!
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation-videos/sbd-against-a6m3-story-stanley-vejtasa-10846-3.html

Jan, funny how did I get to him...His surname seemed to be a Czech...so I made a little research on him on the net. Found also this episode on youtube and posted it as a thread on this forum. Stan´s daughter Susan saw this thread and sent me an e-mail. I sent her my answer with a letter to her father, she passed it to him and I got his answer in 8 (!) days...
btw, his father came from Czech Republic (100 miles from me) and his mother from Sweden...

No problem.... I always feel very humbled when I talk to him, and slightly rude for just calling him up to ask questions.... When we talked, I only asked a few questions at the end of our conversation, as so many other people dont care to listen to the REAL guy on the other end of the phone...

Yea my Grandfather new him quite well... Swede still remembers me as a youngling... Called him Uncle Swede for awhile there....

If anyone has any serious no bullsh!t questions for him, post it up and Ill call him for the answer..

Dan - simply give him a crisp salute from all of us - and "Job Well Done, Sir"

I echo Bill's sentiments Dan, pass on my thanks also, for his service to what is now a free world, due to him and his comrades from all the allied forces of WW2.

Thanks for this thread ............ I watched the two videos ............ certainly took some skill and stamina.

Did anyone ever ask the gunner what the experience was like for him?

Not yet, but if is he still alive I´d like to do it. I also don´t have his address.
Dan, could you ask Stanley next time if is he still alive?

I think that´s the man in question- Walter Gabriel Schindler, who was born in New Glarus, fought in World War II and became a Vice Admiral in the U.S. Navy. He flew with the ace Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa in the Battle of Coral Sea in the back seat of a SBD Dauntless dive bomber filming the naval battle unfolding below him. Schindler's footage was later used to develop the strategy for aircraft carrier combat in World War II and also following the war. Schindler and Kevin Patrick Lynch, also from New Glarus, received the U.S. Navy Cross...

No problem.... I always feel very humbled when I talk to him, and slightly rude for just calling him up to ask questions.... When we talked, I only asked a few questions at the end of our conversation, as so many other people dont care to listen to the REAL guy on the other end of the phone...

You should just ask him for a detailed interview regarding his flying history. I think you will find that he would enjoy that, especially if you have built a good relationship with him. Many vets enjoy recalling achievements, especially pilots. Ground pounders and swabs could possibly not enjoy talking about the past as it sometimes can bring feelings of brutal and bloody loses of good friends, a different environment from pilots, except possilbly bomber crews.

Holy crap. Being able to talk with a storied hero like that would sure make my decade.

Makes me miss my dad, too.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back