Gotha Go 244 - 1974 Revell - Italaerei build... with trepidation!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Having just made a tentative return to the modelling world, thanks mainly to COVID-19 lockdown, it is with some trepidation that I embark on this build in the esteemed and talented community of WW2aircraft.net! When I was modelling back in the 1970's I was probably OK for a teenager, but looking at what folks produce these days has me ... well, amazed! I figured if I had a go and put it out there, I may get some help (and much needed encouragement) to press on and finish. As well as showing anyone who is crazy enough to follow along what I am up to, hopefully I can ask advice along the way.

02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG 08.JPG

My folks bought this kit for me when I was about 13 I reckon, and it has sat for four and a half decades, moving from house to house in one of those cardboard boxes that you're never quite sure what's in them, waiting for me to have a go at it! My dad flew gliders, and was perhaps tired of me making powered aircraft all the time, so I was supposed to build the Go 242, but am more interested now in modelling the Go 244.

There are a few nice builds online:

Go 244
Gotha Go 242/244
Rick's 1/72 Gotha GO-244 - Finished! | Modelers Social Club Forum
Italeri 1/72 Go-244, by Torben Plesberg
1/72 Italeri Gotha Go242A-1 by Gavin Parnaby

including the one on ww2aircraft.net by Bustedwing:

Italeri 1:72 scale Gotha 242

…but as the Go 242/244 is not the sexiest aircraft ever built, and perhaps because this is the only (old) model available, it doesn't get shown off much. Initially I thought I might be Robinson Crusoe in attempting to depict the structural interior of the cargo hold (well, this is my intention anyway), but a bit more online hunting found a couple more builds on a French site that had put in a lot more effort than was standard:

Planeur Gotha GO-242, Italeri 1/72
gotha - [Concours avions allemands WWII] Gotha 242 Italeri 1/72 : Photos finales p.24 et je conclus. - Page 9

I had already begun my first ever attempt at scratch building when I found these French builds, and was only slightly surprised that someone else in the world had stumbled on the same photos I was using, and had made a mud map of what-probably-went-where-in-the-guts of the fuselage in an attempt to give some credibility to the cavernous interior of the Gotha. I remember when my parents bought me the kit, I was marveling at the interior details that came with it! Times change… the attempt at replicating the doped fabric looks more like a hessian bag, and the "details" of the structural steel members are an artist's impression at best. If this was a popular aircraft, I'm sure Eduard would have a PE aftermarket for it, especially for the very visible but sparsely detailed cockpit.

12.JPG 17.JPG

As it is, aftermarket options are limited to a replacement cockpit canopy and tail cone glazing by Falcon Clearvax (canopy set 42: Luftwaffe Part 7), which I hunted down and ordered from NZ. Even though the canopy is pretty good with the kit (all the side windows are another story though...), my intention is to have the two small outward opening side windows opened, which I think I can only do with the much thinner vacformed unit. Stay tuned… if I wreck it I still have the original to fall back on! I've also ordered some replacement pilot seating, as the kit seats would be about 980mm wide in the real world, and take up most of the cockpit! No AUS supplier has the Eduard Luftwaffe rudder pedals in stock, so I have bought what was available from BNA Model World, and have been forced to cannibalize a couple of Me 262 Eduard cockpit kits.

I know this would be a good kit for the current GB 46 Split Build - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders, especially as the 242 was a glider before becoming a 244, but there is NO WAY I will finish this in time!

Anyway, thanks for looking in, and if you're so inclined, stay tuned! Cheers

Last edited:
A few stolen hours from the family has given me a chance to keep working on the fuselage interior, and also try out my new (cheap) airbrush.
First requirement was to clean up the rear cargo area in readiness for some scratch built "pipework".
19.JPG
There are very few online images of the rear "flip-up" cargo door but the three I have been working from suggest a slightly raised floor in the rear, rather than a sloping floor with plywood overlaid directly on the steelwork:
2880px-Wrecked_German_Gotha_Go_242_glider_in_North_Africa_c1942.jpg Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-004-3635-26A,_Russland,_Cholm,_Flugzeugwrack_Go_242.jpg doc_go14.jpg

Anyway, this is where I am with the cargo door so far:

25.JPG

And the fuselage:

26.JPG

And I've made a start on the cockpit. The centre consol moulded into the floor of the kit did not exist, with the engine instruments being placed in front of the pilot's rudder pedals, and the throttles attached to the cockpit canopy framework above the pilot's right shoulder. Man those PE rudder pedals are fiddly at this scale! Certainly focussed my attention...

27.JPG

... with a bit of "right boot" thrown in so I can offset the rudders later on. The cockpit will probably remain RLM 66, but the fuselage interior was probably RLM 02, with the steel structural members all appearing very light in colour on all my reference pics, which admittedly are of the Go 242.

That's all for now!

Last edited:
Nice work so far. As inspiration, here is the skeletal framework of a Gotha 242 in a museum in Berlin. It doesn't have the rear door though.

Thanks for that... I do have that image in my collection, but not at that resolution. This is/was the 242C which was supposed to land on water and float for a while, hence the keel below the cockpit. Unlike the 242B, it appeared to have no side doors... the steel tubing continues uninterrupted along port and starboard sides.

A bit more of a chance to have a go at the kit this week. Finished the internal structure as best I could, then what to do about the terrible windows that came with the kit (see the earliest shots of the clear parts on the sprue: the windows are all dimpled and horrible). I cut individual windows from clear plastic sheet bought at my local hobby store. Hard work. Got them to fit, and then struggled with how to fix them in place. Settled on clear gloss varnish, which seemed to work on one I tested. Has messed with the clarity a bit, but I might be able to live with it. Will see after I remove the backing tape that was holding them in position.

Also sprayed the interior RLM02 prior to that, and then worked on the plywood floor for the cargo area and rear cargo door. Bought a sheet of HGW decals, pine tree natural base white. Cut the sheet into four panels for the main cargo floor, and a single for the rear. In an effort to make each panel look less uniform (and after watching a video by PLASMO) I weathered panels with oil paints; burnt sienna, raw sienna, and a bit of orange, concentrating on the joins. Quite happy with how it looks!

Also wanted to have a go at a pin wash, so sprayed some Modelmaster gloss on the interior. Had real trouble with getting it to go on well. Tried diluting a bit, but not sure what the ratio should be. Any suggestions?

Anyway, it glossed up OK, and then I splashed some Tamiya black panel line accent color around, and cleaned up with enamel thinner. That doesn't look too bad either, for a first attempt. Pic is taken prior to clean up.

More when I get a chance! Thanks for dropping by!

28.JPG 29.JPG 34.JPG 35.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back