Greatest aviation myth this site “de-bunked”.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, we've got a healthy microbrew community down here, both locally and the state as a whole. We really don't need imports, with companies like Real Ale Brewing Co, 903 Brewing, Twisted X, and so on.

Oh, we've got a healthy microbrew community down here, both locally and the state as a whole. We really don't need imports, with companies like Real Ale Brewing Co, 903 Brewing, Twisted X, and so on.
Well then, I guess you can paint us "microbrew snobs". I often visit "exotic beer boutiques" for a little variety, and have never seen any of those you mention. In fact almost nothing from south of Mason-Dixon is to be found. Even Shiner, which used to be frequently available, but since 2017, gone, gone, gone.

No, not snobs at all. It's just a matter that a microbrewery must needs build both a distro network and a customer base in order to make cross-country sales economically viable. The first can be expensive, and the second can be very difficult. Be it noted that I could find Shiner in California 15 years ago, but only in Los Angeles and then only at select stores.

Living here in Tejas, one beer I miss is Steinlager, a New Zealand lager that would make a fantastic summer beer here. But because there's little demand here, and greater expense involved shipping domestically after import, it simply isn't found like it is in SoCal, in every store.

Living here in Tejas, one beer I miss is Steinlager, a New Zealand lager that would make a fantastic summer beer here.
Ever wonder why there are such similarities flavorwise between pseudo-pilsener light lagers worldwide? Most folks I know can't tell the difference in a blind test between Dos Equis, Tsingtao, Corona, Kirin, Carlsberg, Heineken, Harp, and a host of others. Most can recognize genuine Urquel, however, due to the distinctive flavor of Czech Sasz hops.
In the early/mid 19th century the Lager revolution overwhelmed Europe, pushing traditional ales aside and dominating the market. Many of the more innovative German breweries that jumped on this new phenomenon were Jewish family businesses, whose sudden prosperity triggered the latent anti-semitism that lurked below the surface in much of Europe. This led to a bit of an exodus and a diaspora of German lager brewers setting up in business and creating global demand for this cool new product.
This required a lot of innovation, as the climates and soils around the world weren't necessarily friendly to the traditional varieties of hops they brought with them, and their traditional barley varieties didn't prosper everywhere either. Yet persevere they did, and eventually achieved the near uniformity of flavor we see today.
Gee, I tink I twa uh gwowndhaug!

Steinlager is on of those that has a unique taste. It's definitely due to the hops. I'm normally no fan of hoppy beers, but a Steinie has a touch of sweetness that balances well against the bitters, to my taste.

The fact that it's light and has moderate ABV at 5.0% meant I enjoyed it in the short summers we had in coastal SoCal.

Having worked in China and Japan Kirin and Tsingtao were set up in the colonial era, Tsingtao was a German trading post and Kirin, like other Japanese beers were set up by importing German beer ideas and changing them. Japan is incredibly humid, you feel thirsty all the time so what you like to drink and eat reflects that. I obviously ate Japanese food and drank Japanese beer in Japan, I have done the same in London and Paris working for Japanese companies some were very high end restaurants, it just isnt the same because the climate and ambiance isnt, my colleagues said the same.

Given my normal opinion about American beer, some of the best beers I've had have been American, in Utah of all places.
Again, it's these microbreweries doing the good stuff, the mass produced stuff is just piss quite frankly, but then again so is the mass produced stuff in the UK.
And I'm more of a dark ale man then a lager man.

Users who are viewing this thread