Grizzly Bear (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think the bear would be safer to handle than the raptor. I have too many nightmares about Jurassic Park I and II to consider raptors safe animals. Horrible, at least you may have a slim chance with a bear, raptor very much less, due to the fact that this thing is for chasing down its prey. I thought though, bears were mainly ambush, hunter gatherers that couldn't run that long a distance...

From my mis-spent youth, I had a pretty cool uncle who farmed in Wisconsin and every fall went hunting "out west". I was about 8 or 9 when he finally agreed to take me along, armed with my trusty .22 lever action. He had a Winchester 70 chambered for 30-06. he had decided that year that he need a bear rug preferably grizzly. we had been riding all day seen nothing and near sunset were looking for a good camp site. as were crested a hill there was a lone grizzly some distance away (i was 8YO). He dismounted got his rifle out put a cartridge in the chamber sighted the scope and fired. the bear was knocked down a bit but got right up, reared, spotted us and took off at a dead run. Unk calmly champered another round, aimed and fired. the bear did a bit of a front roll and kept running. Unk fired again, bear rolled kept running. memory is a bit hazy but i think he had five rounds. on the last shot he hit the bear's shoulder and shattered it. the bear was now about 30ft away still trying to get up and get us. Unk got a cartridge out of his belt, loaded it and fired, the bear went down but was still moving. Unk took my .22 stuck it in the bears ear and finally ended it.
He had hit the bear every time but never managed anything vital. blood was everywhere and the hide looked like swiss cheese. Bears are tough

Last edited:
He got nothing the bullets had plowed gouges of hide and flesh from everywhere including the head where one bullet had apparently hit the jaw. it was almost sunset and the light was fading so he was having trouble seeing the crosshairs in the scope

Kinda hard to use a scope at 30ft distance. I would say you guys were lucky. I wanna know though... you were 8yo on a horse with Unk popping off a half dozen .30-06 within arms length and with a grizzly running at you and the horse just sat there for you to see this unfold 30ft from you? Really?

We had three horses one pack. he had walked forward a ways and had sent me back with the horses. they had been hunting and were fairly used to gunfire and I was hanging on for dear life and trying to keep them calm. yea the scope was not much use which is why he had missed vital organs so many times and yea we were DARN lucky and it was a long time before i ever wanted to hunt anything larger than a rabbit. as to the distances, I was 8 - 9 so + or - 20ft. I was also a semi-farm kid so big animals didn't upset me. we had some 300+ lb pigs that would knock you down and eat you as soon as look at you plus a bull and 2 or 3 stallions

From my mis-spent youth, I had a pretty cool uncle who farmed in Wisconsin and every fall went hunting "out west". I was about 8 or 9 when he finally agreed to take me along, armed with my trusty .22 lever action. He had a Winchester 70 chambered for 30-06. he had decided that year that he need a bear rug preferably grizzly. we had been riding all day seen nothing and near sunset were looking for a good camp site. as were crested a hill there was a lone grizzly some distance away (i was 8YO). He dismounted got his rifle out put a cartridge in the chamber sighted the scope and fired. the bear was knocked down a bit but got right up, reared, spotted us and took off at a dead run. Unk calmly champered another round, aimed and fired. the bear did a bit of a front roll and kept running. Unk fired again, bear rolled kept running. memory is a bit hazy but i think he had five rounds. on the last shot he hit the bear's shoulder and shattered it. the bear was now about 30ft away still trying to get up and get us. Unk got a cartridge out of his belt, loaded it and fired, the bear went down but was still moving. Unk took my .22 stuck it in the bears ear and finally ended it.
He had hit the bear every time but never managed anything vital. blood was everywhere and the hide looked like swiss cheese. Bears are tough

Yep. A buddy of mine's Dad went on his ultimate hunt in Kodiak. When they told him which bear to kill, he fired. And fired again. And again.

On the 5th round, the bear ducked its head and Mr. S. put one in its brain. All its vitals were shredded, but it took the head shot to fully stop it.

Jetpacks and raptors are fine....as long as they're not running with those scissors. That's dangerous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back