Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm trying to find this chart in post #869 but came up empty. Does anyone know where it possibly went?

And I apologize in advance to those who would like to have seen this thread die a thousand horrible deaths a thousand or so posts ago...

There may have been a bit a thread merging back in the neolithic period.

The chart itself was most likely from WWII Aircraft Performance

I'm trying to find this chart in post #869 but came up empty. Does anyone know where it possibly went?

And I apologize in advance to those who would like to have seen this thread die a thousand horrible deaths a thousand or so posts ago...

Maybe these?

Thanks Wuzak for the link. I hope to find it quickly as these threads were already exhausting the first time around...

Old thread but still worth correcting a few of many salient discrepancies:

I found plenty of sources which give the F6F-3 and F4U-1 similar service and combat ceilings to what's noted in the now infamous P-39N report.

There were other gaffes as well. Such as ignoring higher performing versions of the Zero which arrived by1943 (reliable sources put the A6M5's ceiling at 38,520 feet). It's also pretty well established that P-38F/Gs, P-47Cs, and many 1942/43 vintage Bf109Gs were capable of altitudes in the region of 40,000 feet and more.

Now I do realize that fighting normally took place at much lower altitudes but facts are facts and the reason for twisting them was to somehow support a flawed belief that the P-39N could leave 95 percent of it's competition in the dust. Utter nonsense.

It was a useful combat maneuver. If a Zero is on your tail just pull back on the stick and BINGO, now it's right in front of you - on your tail again - in front - behind. Then you just need an hour or two to climb back to combat altitude. What? I don't have an hour or two of endurance? Oh, well. He who fights and spins away...

And all the while holding down the trigger so you're hurling rounds at all the bad guys in all directions.

Sort of like a garden sprinkler.

But with bullets.

Those clever Bell engineers are SO misunderstood...

Users who are viewing this thread