Gumby's Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We had our annual precision landing and STOL competition here last weekend. Some great examples of different techniques for getting on and off the ground.
auster 1.jpg

auster 2.jpg

bsh 1.jpg

C-195.jpg

carbon cub 1.jpg

fletcher 1.jpg

fletcher 2.jpg

fletcher 3.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

wilga 1.jpg

zenith 1.jpg

Now I've got a serious case of the "iwants". I've started working on SWMBO... :D

Cool pictures Aaron! Season's Greetings, by the way. Great view you had there. Sad I couldn't pop over the hill and watch, but I've been over in Golden Bay looking at dead whales.

Very cool!!!! What kind of plane is the yellow one?

Yep, very cool. It's a Fletcher FU-24 top dressing aeroplane with a Walter turbine conversion. The Fletcher was designed by Thorp; him of the Piper post war light singles, Cherokee etc and they were built under licence in New Zealand. The Walter engine is a Czech built copy of the ubiquitous P&WC PT-6.

I like the new paint scheme on the Wilga; very reminiscent of Soviet era civil markings.

No worries Viking :). I like the Cessna 170 (ZK-BEB), beautiful. Also nice to see the Air New Zealand marked Ostrich (Auster) 'AGY making the trip north.

Cool pictures Aaron! Season's Greetings, by the way. Great view you had there. Sad I couldn't pop over the hill and watch, but I've been over in Golden Bay looking at dead whales
There is always next year!
No worries Viking :). I like the Cessna 170 (ZK-BEB), beautiful. Also nice to see the Air New Zealand marked Ostrich (Auster) 'AGY making the trip north.
BEB is a C-195. Absolutely beautiful aircraft. The aero club have a C-172 that has been converted to a tail-wheel configuration. Looks very much like a baby 180. I'll have to see if I got any photos of it.

Sweet shots, they sure let you get close to the action.
I was judging the landings, so was standing on the side of the strip. There were a couple of times where an aircraft landed a bit close to us, and we had to take a step or two backwards.

We had an open day at the Aviation Heritage centre this weekend, and I got the opportunity to go up in a formation flight with the Stearman. I remembered to take my camera along this time!

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

Great pics. And a Bristol Freighter too! Haven't seen one of those since the early/mid 1960's, when one delivered Cinerama projectors to Newcastle Airport.

Had some rather well-known visitors out at the museum yesterday...

258817-image-posting-img_6267sm.jpg

258818-image-posting-img_6275sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back