Hamburg - A320 nearly crashed during crosswind approach (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Damn this was dearing the terrible storm we had this weekend. I am surprised that plane was even allowed to try and land. Winds were sustained during that storm at 150kmh.

Hamburg was hit pretty hard.

superb pilots performance..even if they could possibly take an alternate airport. But it was the same weather all over Northern Europe that day

Not only Northern Europe sufered...We had the same weather here on Saturday noon. 2 victims, one of them a 11 old girl...killed by falling tree...

Anyway, that A320 pilot did a great job... I´m also wondering they allowed him to land in such a weather conditions:rolleyes:

Talk about your hairy landings. Man, oughta give that guy a medal.

I hate to disagree but that crosswind was either
i) way outside normal operating limits in which he shouldn't have tried a landing
ii) was inside operating limits in which case it should have done a better job of it
iii) either i or ii, once he was uncomfortable he should have gone around again
Going around once both wingtips have touched the ground was very dangerous, the chances of a structural failure were significant.

I've read a few comments from German members on another forum stating that the pilot ignored a crucial warning from tower. Where they heard/read that, I do not know.

That was on Germans news as well but what they said is that the Tower warned him of the bad cross winds but told him he was clear to land.
The controller can't tell him not to land providing the runway is clear the pilot should know the X wind limitations and his own. Its all on the pilot

Pilot always has final discretion wrt weather phenomena. If he had no diversionary airport with better wx conditions, the controller can't deny him.

A319/320 Info....

Max 90° crosswind component (including gusts) for Takeoff and Landing
29 knots(U)
Max 90° crosswind component (including gusts)For CAT II/III
15 knots(U)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back