handley page halifax GR11 1/72nd by revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
I wasn't going to post this one as i was experimenting with detailing,but i did say on another thread that i was working on one and as there was some interest i've posted the progress,this is a reissue of the old matchbox kit with a choice of nose to make different types ,only one choice for me an ex coastal command GR11

bob5369-1.jpg

bob5368-1.jpg

bob5260-1.jpg

bob5266.jpg

bob5265.jpg

bob5274.jpg

bob5275.jpg

bob5361.jpg

bob5374.jpg

bob5398.jpg

bob5403.jpg

bob5401.jpg

bob5264-1.jpg

bob5267-1.jpg

bob5324-1.jpg

bob5599.jpg

bob5598.jpg

bob5535.jpg

bob5597.jpg

bob5600.jpg

bob5601.jpg

pics show the slow progress and detailing,extras include a new floor front to back,nav table,seatbelts,instrument detailing with a fine brush and magnifying glass [this took me 3 days to complete],a reshaping of the bomb bay as it didn't go together very well as originally made,reshaping of the engine cowls to fit correctly,the last pics show the paintwork being applied,i painted the camo for the top as per the plans,and then after thinning the white paint slowly built this up over 5 days until i got an even coat and colour with no brushmarks plus showing all the panel detailing,

thanks for looking

Looks great. I still have my old Airfix Halifax buried in the back of British section. Curious, did that kit provide the option of building the radial engine version ??? Seems to me there was such a kit,,, just can't remember ? The Airfix is Radial engined, can't remember what MK it is either.

Good stuff Bob. Bit late now, but for future reference, the interior was bare aluminium, with fittings painted matt silver, in those areas not occupied by crew. Crew areas were standard Cockpit Grey/Green. Seat cushions were medium green, with those aircraft built by the London Passenger Transport Group having the blue green seat cover material used on the London 'Tube' trains of the period.
The Airfix kit is the Halifax MkIII, the radial engined version, with the longer wing span.

ok thanks Terry,i picked up the interior colours from the net and the kit instructions,shame i've looked in the wrong places,if its ok i will ask 1st next time before getting too far ahead,cheers mate

thanks chaps a bit disappointed i've got the interior colours wrong but for me i was just playing with detailing and have found i have trouble seeing what i'm doing in such a small scale,never mind it was intended as a learning project of what i could do without buying detailing kits,i guess the more i try the better i will get

No problem Bob - for what can actually be seen of the interior, your colour choice is fine. The 'silver' areas where mainly in the centre section and rear fuselage, so not seen really. It's purely chance that I still have a magazine article, describing the colour details etc, written when the original Matchbox kit was first released in the early 1980s, plus a couple of books and pics showing the interior. And a quick 'factoid' - Halifaxs built by London transport Group were heavier by a few pounds than those built by Fairey or HP !!
The YAM has a walk round virtual tour of the inside of their Halifax on their web-site, which is a great reference not previously available.

thanks Terry an interesting fact on the weight, probably due to some of the fittings materials they were using,i wonder what that did to the aircraft's performance

It would cost around £6,000+ to fuel a Halifax today - and probably more tomorrow, and the day after ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back