HARS Museum updates and sometimes requests (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Well I've been officially accepted into the volunteer workforce at HARS yesterday, the Historical Aviation Restoration Society Inc.

The link...... Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Inc

I've gone to work on the display already. 5 hours of trying to make the models on display a bit visible, more of reducing the clutter than anything. 3 cases to work with, one hardly had anything in it, and it's lighted.

The first of the cases had things just shoved in. Can't blame anyone for it if they are not modelers. So I merely thinned things out a bit by moving some to the upright lighted case, and Parking the others so they could be seen. I think it was an improvement and some of the staff were actually looking at the displays when I had finished commenting they didn't even know some of the planes that were in them.

The second was the most cluttered. The big plastic one. Looks like it had been a display case for a ship at one time. I hope to have another shelf to put above the base inside to utilize the upper portion. All the planes in it are in rather good shape, so it was just a matter of arrangement. Everything from WWI to modern jets at 1/72nd scale. I moved some dodgey looking choppers into the upright case to make a bit of room and it all turned out okay.

The upright case I moved some rather nice planes from a fourth display case, which now can be used for some other museum goods.

Structurally the museum is not really Finished. Still some carpentry to be done and some of the staff seem to think the main display area is part of the workshop!

Attachments

• 1 Case a.JPG
    1 Case a.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 1 Case b.JPG
    1 Case b.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 2 Case a.JPG
    2 Case a.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 2 Case b.JPG
    2 Case b.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 3 Case a.JPG
    3 Case a.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 3 Case b.JPG
    3 Case b.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 219
Thanks.....

For my first request for spares, and doesn't look like I may need very many. These are the only three I have no parts for, or need parts for, for that matter.

The Canberra needs two roundels, ***30mm or 1-3/16" in diameter, if someone might have these it would be great. I'm gonna scuff the wings and repaint the silver, all the rest looks okay.

Corsair is 1/72nd and needs a prop.

Cat is 1/144th and needs one as well. If someone has two, I will replace both so they match.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Attachments

• Canberra.jpg
    Canberra.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 222
  • cat cors props.jpg
    cat cors props.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Well done Bill, looks a lot better. That Harrier looks an odd colour though!
Can't help with the props I'm afraid, but I'll have a look through my spare decals files for roundels, although I don't think I'll have that type in that size.

Seriously, old buffalo, I am jealous.
Imagine that, a modeler and an aircraft enthusiast that has free range in a museum....
And your experience in the U.S.N. That had to be a plus.
Congratulations!
Take lots of detail pictures for us less fortunate people!

Take a look at the website, if you need any pictures? No problemo.

There is a Tony fuselage under construction there as well !!!!!!
Will post a photo one day.

Can't help with the props either Bill, wrong scale for me but the roundels I'll check out in the morning, they would be a Type 'D' me thinks. If I have luck I'll text you.

As for getting in on the ground floor of HARS me old mate, bloody well done, I know you been hanging on a thread waiting this news. You going to have fun old chap.

Just checked my decals files Bill, and no luck I'm afraid. Got smaller ones, and bigger ones, but nothing near that size.

Paul, I hearya. I would never have believed I could land this kind of volunteer work. I have to admit tho I owe a lot of it to this forum. The help I have gotten to build my skills to the level I am at. I would never have offered my help at the museum without the help from here.

Thanks for lookin for the roundels guys. Unfortunately I have to cover the old roundels as I can't get under the lines decals and get them off, so I gotta coverem.

The Corsair prop I used one from my B-24 that I replaced with resin.

The Cat is a rather odd ball one as it's 1/44th scale..... it will be a while I 'spect!

Gotta go in today, I left my lunch bag and there's a chicken sandwich in it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry, I'll get a shot of the Harrier forya when I go in.

Andy, if no one hassem, no one hassem! May have to buy a sheet, volunteering is Fun, and expensive.

So here's a pic of the Jump Jet Terry. Sometimes ya just gotta laff out loud. I dropped the bl00dy thing puttin it back. So I returned 3 repaired, and bring one back To repair. Looks like it was painted with House paint it's so thick. Do you recognize the markingsTerry? I'm thinkin of strippin it and a repaint. Don't know if the paint will come off tho.

Don't know if I could find a sacrificial kit for parts.
***Decals are Sky models 48 028 Harrier
***Kit could be Airfix

Attachments

• jumpjet.jpg
    jumpjet.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Andy, if no one hassem, no one hassem! May have to buy a sheet, volunteering is Fun, and expensive.

So here's a pic of the Jump Jet Terry. Sometimes ya just gotta laff out loud. I dropped the bl00dy thing puttin it back. So I returned 3 repaired, and bring one back To repair. Looks like it was painted with House paint it's so thick. Do you recognize the markingsTerry? I'm thinkin of strippin it and a repaint. Don't know if the paint will come off tho.

Don't know if I could find a sacrificial kit for parts.
***Decals are Sky models 48 028 Harrier
***Kit could be Airfix
Looks like it's 1 Sqn Bill, the first with harriers. Maybe it's supposed to be winter camouflage, where a distemper white was painted over the grey, when operating in northern Norway.

I'll try looking for some photos of 1 Sqdn Terry, just for curiosity sake.

I measured it and it appears to be 1/24th, but can't find these decals anywhere in 1/24th.
I'm having to pin everything to get it back together. Seems it;s been dropped and fixed many many times.
Lots of thick pasty looking stuff holding it together.
I'm using 1.2 styrene rod for the hanging things and 1.5 hollow brass tube for the landing gear legs and wing tip.

I sure do know how to make work for myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back