Hasegawa 1/32 P47D Republic Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Gary I will dig the photos out(the photos aren't that great). Mine too was made from the Revell kit circa '69 but was in grey plastic I made it about 3 years ago so not a particularly great build, I'd only just got back into modelling, all the panel lines and rivets were all raised and the paint jobs not that good. The model sadly just sits around on my work bench getting overspray on it. If you want photos of the F4F-3 look at my build and final shots in GB15.

Last edited:
I just love the early one,The one in post 167 is the colour I am doing,btw my Revell is the original 1st press from 1969,no flash parts fit real well,exept the fit where the folding wing comes together is a bit of a problem as I will glue them in inflight position anyway wheels up

Just had a look at a load of pics Vaughan, B&W and colour. On bare metal P-47s, the hinge line of the flaps seems to be bare metal, with the ends in ZC, and on camouflage aircraft, the hinge line is the upper camouflage colour, with the recess in the wing in laquered bare metal, and the ends of the flaps ZC. The Duxford example shows this (for a camouflage example), and the IWM are normally fastidious at getting details right.

Attachments

• Czech 212.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for that Terry it was getting really confusing. So YZC on the ends it is.

Last edited:
Hi all
Very little progress over the last 5 days although I've been working on the main under cart. Wheels are together and sprayed with a a very dark grey hubs in silver and then weathered. I've also added some flats using a domestic iron, to protect the iron I placed a sheet of tin foil over the hot plate. This worked well considering this is the first time I've used this method. A small amount of tidying up was required but all looks good. All the main components are now attached and I'm pleased with the result. Just the break pipes to add and some final weathering and they're complete.

Attachments

• 130802_1315.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 130802_1317.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 131102_1314.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 131102_1319.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 118
Hi Paul I use flory's clay wash for the hubs and a very dilute mix of vallejo olive drab or dark earth for the tyres.

Hey, Vaughan,
I have note of your weathering tips for the tires. Man, those legs are works of art! Very nice job indeed.
Dale

Thanks Guys
I've added the brake hoses and pipes using painted lead wire with help from reference photos I took at Duxford last year. Then I added some final weathering. The flaps were provided with decals for the no step areas but I decided to spray them red because the decals were too small to cover the correct area. Fortunately there are 4 no step decals provided so will use them.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 131202_1320.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 131202_1325.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 131202_1326.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: