Hawker Hurricane Restoration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nostalgair

Airman
Jan 7, 2008
www.owenzupp.com
Hi All,

I have finally got around to starting a thread on the Hawker Hurricane I have previously discussed.

In working on "Down to Earth", the story of another veteran came to light. The tale of Hawker Hurricane Mk I, P2902, DX-R, or "R for Robert". Now residing in southern England and undergoing restoration to full flying status, it is hard to imagine a more fitting tribute to the late Squadron Leader Kenneth McGlashan AFC.

DX-R began its life as a product of the Gloster Aircraft Company. Built under contract number 962371/38 and taken on charge at 245 Squadron on the 19th May 1940. At the time of its demise, DX-R had only a handful of flight time to its credit. On that fateful offensive patrol of 31st May 1940, Kenneth always lamented that his first mistake that day was not having a good look back over his shoulder. If he had of, he would have seen the grey Messerschmitt 109s of JG26 of the Luftwaffe.

Hurricane DX-R would spend the next fifty years immersed in the sands of Dunkirk before its discovery. Now, in the 21st century it is preparing to fly once more.

Here are a few images of P2902.

Web Hurri a.jpg

Web Hurri B.jpg

Web Hurri Internal.jpg

Cheers

Owen

Man, I love it! What a beautiful job they've done with the restoration!
Best of luck to them!

Any chance of getting pictures of the mid-wing section with the fuel tank in place?

Hi again,

The Hurricane is now in the very capable hands of the people at Hawker Restorations at Suffolk.

The latest estimate is from the public forum, in the November 2007 issue of FlyPast. It had completion of their next Hurricane being late 2008 and I suspect that P2902 will be after that.

Cheers

Owen

The Hurricane is now in the very capable hands of the people at Hawker Restorations at Suffolk.

It's in very good hands. A friend of The Foundation has a couple of VVS Hurricanes waiting the wings for restoration in Norfolk VA.

Both were recovered from Russia. I was sitting in the cockpit of one discussing the history of the wreck and examining it. It came to light that the pilot was killed and probably was not alive when the airplane came to rest in the marshlands.

I then turned around and almost dead center of the Pilots head/shoulder armor plate right were the back of my head would rest, was a conical spalling hole punched in the armor by a bullet.

One of the more creepy experiences dealing with WWII restorations.

Hi Njaco,

I'll scout around for some recovery photos other than those in the book. (The recovery is a chapter on its own.)

A disappointing sequel to the recovery occurred the first night the Hurricane was liberated from the sand. Pending a move to a proper facility, it was apparently stored overnight at the local police station.

During the night someone cut off and stole the wings!!!!!!!

Cheers

Owen

thats terrible!

Glad though there could be another hurri in the air. Specially after the tragic accident last year.

Hi again all,

An interesting link relates to Hawker Hurricane R4118. It was recovered from India and subsequently restored by Hawker Restorations. This website features some restoration shots at Hawker Restorations.

Hurricane R4118

Have a look, I hope you find it interesting.

Cheers

Owen

There's one awaiting restoration in Calgary AB Canada along with a Mosquito
'Hawker Hurricane MK IIB - Pending Restoration
de Havilland DH 98 Mosquito PR35 - Pending Restoration'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back