Hobby Shop going under. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was a bloke who built his own wire control gas powered planes. He's the one got me started modeling. A little store around the corner, a 5 and dime, had a few kits, Monograms mostly, that's where I got my first plastic kit. I think it was a forty Ford coupe.

Maybe it'll go back to a section in the drug stores, and one whopping big mail order. Who knows.

Strangely enough, the hobby seems to be blooming, if one considers the huge increase in kits, accessories, after-market parts, tools etc. Unfortunately though, the main, large, on-line outlets seem to be the only places where all these things can be found, understandably, to the cost of the smaller, 'high street' shops.

The difference between a local hobbyshop and internet sellers, is overhead.

Most often, the online retailers have inventory drop-shipped from a distributor instead of having the expense of a retail space and added expense of purchasing/stocking the items.

Personally, I like to hold something in my hands, look it over and then decide on the purchase.

Strangely enough, the hobby seems to be blooming, if one considers the huge increase in kits, accessories, after-market parts, tools etc. Unfortunately though, the main, large, on-line outlets seem to be the only places where all these things can be found, understandably, to the cost of the smaller, 'high street' shops.

I beg to differ some guys I think it's all about electronics.The kids today have little interest in something besides gaming,phones,facebook you name it.Those young kids like we were eons ago would/could crank out some models unlike us at our advance age doing 3-6 a year maybe with all the add-ons.I started my nephew giving him a few models all done in one week!Oh no paint or anything but he loved showing me his work.I guess he built about 15 of my kits which I replaced with some I hope to do.So find that youngster with active hands who likes to take stuff apart for the hell of it and put it back together thier builders ;)

I agree about the younger market Kevin, but I was meaning the model market in general - there's been a very noticeable and real increase in the number of kits, accessories etc in recent years, along with fairly large price increases for these items. It may be that the bulk of the market is now the 'true, dedicated modeller', as opposed to the traditional 'pocket money' market, with real enthusiasts secondary, but whatever, there's no getting away from the fact that the products are continuing to grow, and that huge investments have been made, in the form of tooling and packaging, by mainly major manufacturers, but also many smaller companies - something that would not happen if the 'hobby' was dying out.
As an example, with 1/48th scale aircraft kits alone, the total number available at any one time, thirty years could almost be counted on the fingers of two hands. This has increased dramatically over the years, and more so over the last five years and less, and now we have extremely large listings in this scale, increasing yearly.
The youngsters might not be as prevalent in the market, but the sales are still there, investments continue to be made by the manufacturers, and product bases are growing.
I don't see that as a dying market - but I can see the reasons why 'traditional', smaller outlets are falling by the wayside - a trend that is affecting virtually every, traditional, 'high street' retail business, worldwide, not just hobby shops.

As an example, with 1/48th scale aircraft kits alone, the total number available at any one time, thirty years could almost be counted on the fingers of two hands. This has increased dramatically over the years, and more so over the last five years and less, and now we have extremely large listings in this scale, increasing yearly.

No need in denying that fact Terry ;) Now then could it be smaller shops being swallowed up by the bigger guys I guess?Sprue Brothers just absorbed somebody here back in the last two years.I saw a shift in our LHS about 15yrs ago when ALOT of R/C stuff started showing up and the model section shrunk and the I have seen the same thing at Hobbytown in Mobile.The owner said it was a sign of the times less modelers purchasing(internet sales? ) and it was the way to keep the doors open.Maybe in the US the hobby has faded for reasons I have mentioned but we do see alot of builders from Europe and SE Asia and maybe the market just shifted?

18968_1233596973298_7572132_n.jpg
Me on the right checking out the delivery truck from my local hobby shop - my father's! It was called the Pit Stop Hobby Shop. He sold it to a bigger company after 5 years. I've posted many pics on Facebook about the store and my dad.

18968_1233596973298_7572132_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hope it's the right sort of place, with the stuff you need most Glenn. Makes a heck of a difference when you have a local shop and need paint, bits and pieces, or even kits in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back