How Many Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On the serious side, I saw some tragedies. I was at the crash site when a CH-53 went down on the island of Mindoro in the Philippines in October 1977 on the last day of an exercise and killed the crew and nearly all the grunts on board. That day aged me about fifty years and changed me forever. There was another all-hands-killed crash of a CH-46 from the same squadron during a trip to Fuji for cold weather training three months later, and half my platoon had debarked from that helicopter just before it went down. And one of my best friends from TBS, Cliff Hewlett, ended up as a Huey pilot and was killed when he crashed at 29 Palms. I'd seen him at the PX the day before and hadn't stopped to chitchat because he was long-winded and I was late for a staff meeting. That's always bothered me.

You will never forget them will you? I have been to so many crash sites. Most of the time we either had to fly out and pic of the remains of the crew...

I will never forget it.

I did a rescue into downtown Bacuba one time. Fortunatly a few minutes out we got the call that they had allready been rescued. I was not looking foward into flying into the town square full of insurgents.

Yeah, but you guys would've done it in a heartbeat....that's what counts :salute: I know of some units that flat out refused to back up units in trouble.

That's what civilians don't get. 99% of the men/women in ANY branch would brave any sort of hot LZ or beachhead or anything to help out men/women of any OTHER branch. Then, later that night, meet up in the bar, buy a few rounds, get hammered, and start a brawl with each other. :occasion5: Ya just can't explain it.

Yeah, that "Band of Brothers" aspect means so much... there aren't many brands of civilians that grasp that. It's one of the things so many of us miss, I think. That's probably one reason a lot of cops are vets.
In grad school (counseling psychology program) we had a course on understanding people from other cultures and our professor, a funny little Aussie, told us that being Americans, we were from one of the most individualistic cultures in the world and would have great trouble grasping what a collectivist culture, one where the good of the group comes ahead of the individual, feels like. I wrote a paper on how, having been in the Marine Corps since age 17, I'd spent more than half my life at that point in a collectivist culture and was more at home in that kind of society than in mainstream America. After reflecting on it, he agreed.
You're right about never forgetting, Der Adler - I was 18 and that was my first exposure to violent death. Up to then I'd felt like being in the service was like being in the movies; that day it really hit home how deadly serious a business it is. My stepfather had served in WW2 in both oceans and had tried to get that across to me before I enlisted, but I hadn't had the frame of reference to understand. I stayed in and made it a career for multiple reasons, but one was that by the time I was up for reenlistment and was an NCO, I realized that a lot of the officers and NCOs still had that naivete and we needed leaders that understood death at a gut level and not as an abstract idea.

Hello!
First of all I served all of my time Army National Guard, when the only overseas duty we were getting was honduras (etc) peace building missions. I tried to volunteer Gulf I and was told that they would not break up the integraty of a scheduled unit. Two weeks after the "cease fire" I messed my knees up royally during a PT Test. (Best blessing in disguise I have every had, as my wife wanted me out!)
I have always been thankful for members of the other services. I had a friend that we would joke and carry on during the Military BIG ONE (ARMY v NAVY) and even though I obviously want Army to dominate, at the end of the game, my sentiments are that WE won! I realize that the quarterback for Navy (or Air Force) may well be the guy that answers "my" fire support call, and thuse the game is a good intramilitary way to poke jabs at the other necessary branches.
To make matters even crazier, the friend was USMC, but I had both army and navy in my family, as well as the fact that my father-in-law (for whom I have the utmost respect) is a navy CDR.

Hey, Flip, first of all welcome to the boards! Secondly....active duty or National Guard/Reserves, YOU SERVED. Consider yourself one of the guys. :occasion5: Heck, I would even venture to include EMS/police/fire in that "YOU SERVED" category. Not everyone who puts their life on the line for their country went overseas or fired a rifle.

Hey fellas!

Hope everything is going well. Just wanted to say a quick hello!

Attachments

• S7300135a.jpg
    S7300135a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 107
Take care over there.

I have flown into your camp a few times when I was there. It was kind of wierd parking a Blackhawk between CH-53's and CH-46's! :lol:

A bunch of my friends were in MEDVAC based out of there last year.

RAF Eng Tech Airframe and Prop since 88. Tornado Eng Bay, Tornado F3 Sqn, Tornado GR1 Sqn (RAFG), Tornado GR4 Sqn Scotland, Typhoon Sqn, Typhoon Role office.....2 years to pension!!!

USAF 6 years Combat Camera, Kansas Air National Guard 5 years Visual Information, Air Force Reserve 8 years, Armament and Intelligence

Welcome to the forum Danoku. FYI, this forum is loaded with ex-military,
active duty military, retired military and guys that served in every conflict
from [and including] WW-II to the present one in the big sand box.

Enjoy the place...

Charles

USAF, 1963-66, ATC 3345th CMS, Chanute Field, 43151A recip eng a/c mech on C-123B, U-3A C-47D (only as a sub)... just another wingwiper REMF.

Our mission was training of air ground crew on the Provider for deployment to MAAG-VN stationed at Da Nang and TSN. Ran cargo sorties all over USA hauling Provider parts, a lot of air hours doing check outs, t g, STOL, emergency descents etc etc etc.

Paras 1969 to 1981, including SF role at the 'other place', then 10 years active reserve. SNCO weapons instructor final 'job'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back