How Many Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kosovo sep to dec 02 and mar to jul 03.
Gulf first half of 2000 second of 2002, may to aug 2003, feb to apr 2004 and mar to jul 2005.

Cool we were there at the same times.

I flew out of Bondsteel from October 2002 to July 2003.

I flew out of Tikrit from January 2004 to Febrary 2005.

Sweb, boy do I remember the blizzard, January 1978 at Grissom AFB. Boy did that catch everyone by surprise. This is my memory of it.

I was scheduled to work days. I got up as normal in the BNCOQ, ate and got dressed. I heard the wind blowing hard, but that was about normal at Grissom! I left my room on the 2nd floor and got to the door at the end of the barracks. Then I just stood there looking at my little Ford Maverick. The snow was half way up the front bumper. It wasn't going any place! With the wind conditions were just above white out. It was about a mile and a half to work. With only a field jacket, that wasn't going to happen!

So I called the shop to say I wasn't driving in. I would see if anyone at the 1915 Comm Squadron Job Control could give me a lift in a 4x4 truck. The Controller said yes, but he was by himself and couldn't leave.

Well, before long the Base CO said where you is is where you stay. So I was stuck in the barracks. Then the base heat plant partially shuts down. It starts to get cold in the barracks.

I went to another guy's room. He was listening to a scanner monitoring the rescue effort to get the two Air Traffic Controllers out of the tower. They couldn't find the tower! Not with snow plows. Not even snowmobiles could find it!

For those that have never been to Grissom, the Air Traffic Control Tower is located on the other side of the runway from the rest of the base. And guess what, the first 60 feet is painted WHITE! Now you see why it was "lost"!

The tower has lost heat, water, electricity, and all but one phone line. The Controllers didn't have any really warm clothes. Finally the Base CO called off the rescue due to night coming on. And he told them they were to do what ever it takes to survive the night. They ripped up some carpet for blankets and burn some files for warmth. It was a long night.

The next morning, the weather had moderated some. A plow was sent to find them. The Controllers saw the flashing lights of the plow and had the plow stopped. The driver reported he still couldn't see the tower. The Controllers walked to the plow and hopped in. The driver headed back to base. Then the plow quit! So they all had to be rescued again!

That next day, all but my NCOIC made it to the shop. I walked in. What a sight. All the doors at the Command Post building were buried in snow. I helped dig it open. While digging my butt hit a window in a door and broke it. A controller from the Command Post said don't worry about the window, KEEP DIGGING!

We had a shop meeting and decided to go to 24 hour shifts for a few days. That way we would only do shift changes in daylight as the base was a super mess for getting around. After about 4 days we went back to 12s and then finally back to our normal duty schedule.

After the shop meeting I walked back to the barracks. I went through base housing. I wish I had my camera. Snow drifts up to 21 feet high. It looked like huge ocean waves breaking over the tops of the one story houses. And these weren't light fluffy things, they were hard as a rock! I could walk on them and barely leave a foot print! A bloody amazing! I have never seen anything like this since!

Bill G.

Yep. The command came down to hook up the alert birds to tow them around and get the flat spots frozen into the tires rounded out again. We had 15 planes cocked on alert. Nothing doing. The base CO later called down saying flight ops were officially closed down.

I was in the Royal Dutch Army for 2 1/2 years (voluntary drafted)Then for 3 years a civilian and then 12 years Royal Netherland Air Force.I served with the army in Germany armybase Seedorf to be exact.And 12 years at Airforce Base Twenthe(Hellhound) at 910 Maintenance Squadron and 313 Flying squadron(tiger squadron)

Attachments

• crst_313sqn.gif
    crst_313sqn.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 67
  • BASIS.GIF
    BASIS.GIF
    23.8 KB · Views: 81
I was based in Seedorf from 1991 till mids 1994.And yes i meant Zeven hahaha.I was with the 42nd Batalion Limburgse Jagers.

Ah. well. :)
I was a soldier from 1982 until 1993 in SAM Wing 36 based at Bremervörde and from 1996 until 2001 i worked at Seedorf Barracks for the Dutch Army..
How small is this world...

I served 21 years mostly active except for my time in ROTC. I served 6 years as an enlisted man. I was an 11-b v30, Served with the C/ 1/325/82nd Abn div. In Desert Sheild/Storm. I then served with B/3/75th rangers. got out went to finish my degree. got reassigned after Infantry officers basic course to the 11th armoured cav. then as a Platoon leader in the a/3/75th Rangers where i served in Afghanistan during Operation Rhino. Got reassigned as a rifle company commander after Advanced inf officers course. as an operations officer. then i got command of a rifle company.. C/2/325/82nd abn div... Commanded them during OIF 1. after command and general staff college and my promotion to Major, got assigned to 3rd brigade combat team of the 82nd Abn div. and did another tour in iraq and afghanistan. I came home got assigned to ROTC cadet command and was made a tac officer At Butler University in Indiana. Retired From the Army as a Major O-4, 29 Jan 2009. after 21 years, Got out tabbed and combat scrolled with a CIB. i did my best, and have few regrets

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back