How Many Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

USMC 1973-1979 0311 with a bubble and a pair of wings
3rd Batt 1st Marines FMF
Also served aboard the USS Coral Sea as a "Bellhop" (squid lingo
for Sea Marines)

US Navy 1951 to 1971. General service Radioman, TTY and Crypto Repair.
Had one year 'exchange' duty with the USAF at Wheelis AFB in Tripoli,
Libya, and pulled a year of "exchange" duty with the USA (2nd Army) in NYC
as Armed Forces Police. Did 11 months in Nam attached to the ROK
Army (who called themselves marines). I've been retired 36 years and
I don't miss it !

Charles

Chris:

No I did not. I remember seeing it on the way to our Transmitter site, which
was about 30 K south of Tripoli, but I never visited it. I guess it's full of
Brits.... huh ?

Chris: That's quite a story. It states that Wheelus housed B-52's from
1958 to 1972. I was there Nov 1954 to Nov 1955 and we had B-36's.
If memory serves, it was a SAC base and Lemay was head of SAC at the
time. I was attached to the 1950th AACS (Aircraft Airways
Communications System) and later to the 1603rd SAR (Search Rescue)
which was later changed to Sea/Air Rescue. It was good duty but I
could never get use to the "base alerts". We didn't have them in the
Navy.

Charles

Chris: Probably..... I've got a box full that's never been sorted. See what
I can dig up. Do you remember reading about the "Lady Be Good " ? A B-24
that crashed in the desert coming back from a mission to Rome ? They
found it sometime after I left.... I think in the '60's. Quite a story in itself.

Charles

I have a question for all you guys who have served. Perhaps it is a dumb one, but I have a family member who has been the Canadian Military for around 15 years now.

Why does most guys serve in the military for such a short period of time? Most times less then 10 years it seems.

I have a question for all you guys who have served. Perhaps it is a dumb one, but I have a family member who has been the Canadian Military for around 15 years now.

Why does most guys serve in the military for such a short period of time? Most times less then 10 years it seems.

The number one reason that servicemen leave the US military is due to family reasons. This is according to research done directly by the DoD.

Here's an example of my case - and I have not even finished training yet and have not yet been deployed.

Entered in 2004 - went to Quantico, VA
Nov 2005 - Transferred to Pensacola, FL
Nov 2006 - Transferred to Corpus Christi, TX
May 2007 - Transferred back to Pensacola, FL
Nov 2007 - Will be transferring to Jacksonville, NC

After I'm in NC, I'll be deploying to Iraq/Afghanistan sometime - and God knows where else.

As I said - hard on family life. If I get out before 20, you can be it's for family reasons.

For me, I had a set of goals:
1. Serve my country
2. Get money for a house (VA loan)
3. Get money for college (GI bill)
4. travel
5. meet lots of people

After my 4 years, 10 months and 28 days were up, it was time to go. I met my objectives. It was time to go to college.

I considered staying in and cross-training but at the time, desirable military jobs were not plentiful, in '91 they were downsizing. I promised my self early on that if was going to be "a lifer" it was going to be as an officer but after being stationed in B.F., Idaho, I was anxious to experience college life as a civilian.

On the other side of the coin, what makes a man stay in the military.
With me it was my "home life". It didn't exist. I quit school in the 7th
grade, tried to go to work. Best job I could find was stocking shelves
at a supermarket. Joined the Navy at 17, and instantly became a "lifer"
The good part of this scenerio is NOW, I'm getting a good retirement.
Not as good as guys who retired after me (in 1971), because of pay
raises. I've been retired for 36 years so I've gotten a few bucks from
Uncle Sugar. And..... I do not regret one minute of it.

Charles

Thanks for your service Charles.

Had I stayed in, this would have been my 20th year. I sure wouldn't mind a retirement check!

Yeh my family member is thinking about retiring after about 15 years and he would get a very nice retirement package if he did......but if he stays for 20 years the package gets allot better. I think he is going to stay for 20 years by the sound of it.

Yeh my family member is thinking about retiring after about 15 years and he would get a very nice retirement package if he did......but if he stays for 20 years the package gets allot better. I think he is going to stay for 20 years by the sound of it.
As far as I know you have to do 20 to get a pension and I don't believe its changed but you do get a lump sum payment for all your pension contributions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back