ICM 1/48 Bf 109F-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peebs

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2010
Werribee Vic
Ok Gang,

My first contribution to the forum, After looking at the fantastic work you guys do I hope I'm upto scratch.

Going with 'Yellow 4" as displayed on the box.

Ofw Eberhard von Boremski 9./JG 3 (his squadron?) Ukraine May 1942

Credited with 104 victories, he died aged 49 in a flying accident in Hamburg 1963.

bf109f4001.jpg

bf109f4002.jpg

Interesting.....the JG 3 F-4's had a unique scheme, bought about when they received a batch of aircraft with Tropical camo applied, they then added a few more colours to create this non standard pattern!

Nice one! I've got my eyes on an ICM '109, so I'll be interested to see how this goes together. The P51 wasn't mich of a problem, and I know a couple have had problems with the Spit, but overall they are nice kits.

I agree with Airframes. Also I'm looking forward to the assembling.

Interestingly you guys should mention problems getting ICM kits together. I spent a few hours yesterday scratching my head and searching this forum and beyond for pix of the assembled engine as i was having all sorts of problems getting it together. Seemed to be lugs with no reciprocal slots for them to fit into between the 'heads' and main engine block (forgive me if my terminology is wrong, I'm a hot rodder... have a real life hotord I' build with family and friends, and had proffesionally finished). After much searching and constination I broke out a small file and some sand paper and removed them. Its all together now and looks like the pix I've found here so fingers crossed its right.

Will post some pix when its all together properly

cheers
pete

Ok guys, I've nearly completed the engine assembly, but I have a question before I finish it. The exhaust headers (parts C29 and C30) as well as the protective cover???( parts C20 and C21) obviously protrude from under the engine cowling. I was wondering how you all takle this is regards to painting the fuselage etc

thanx in advance
pete

Bf109f4003.jpg

p.s. Don't you just love digital cameras!!

If you're able to, fit the exhausts after painting, having masked the aperture where they fit. If not, then mask them once ready for painting, although if using an airbrush, you should be able to spray and only get a thin coating on the stacks, which can either be removed with thinners, or painted over. It can sometimes give a nice effect of that dusty, pitted look too.

Yup. I'd try to leave them off first. Dry fit everything up first and see if you can get them in after the fuselage is glued up. The shrouds over the exhausts (C20 and 21) would be painted the camo colour on the outside.The side exposed to the exhaust would be all black stained.

I wouldn't say it went together easily, (could be I have two left thumbs of course) but this is where its at so far

Bf109f4004.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, nice work.
Two things: is the cannon breech cover seated correctly? It looks a bit high, almost touching the instrument panel, and with a gap showing at the bottom. Also, a minor thing, the engine bearers were normally painted RLM02, or a slightly lighter grey colour, RLM number unknown, with the coolant tank in front the same, or sometimes bare metal.

Two things: is the cannon breech cover seated correctly? It looks a bit high, almost touching the instrument panel, and with a gap showing at the bottom. Also, a minor thing, the engine bearers were normally painted RLM02, or a slightly lighter grey colour, RLM number unknown, with the coolant tank in front the same, or sometimes bare metal.

Wasn't really sure, the instructions are a bit ambiguious and my knowledge of planes is limited, so I'll re seat the cannons. The instructions would have me paint the cockpit surrounds and engine bearers pale green, which i think was earlier model 109's according to paint instructions I read here in another post..

Thanks for the info!!

pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back