ICM 1/48 Bf 109F-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I've just spent the most frustrating of hours battling with what is undoubtedly the worst decal sheet I've ever encounted!

Think i'll just salvage what i can, chalk it it up to experience, have a go at some detailing and weathering that I've not tried before, then hide it at the back of the cabinet!!

Nothing worse than a dodgy set of decals.I had that problem with my Academy P51B,shocking..:shock:
Hope it all works out for u bud.
Cheers,
Tony.

the larger decals look ok at a distance, but up close as you can see they are very very ordinary..

some of the smaller ones just disintegrated especially the red dotted line for the wing walks... will soldier on and add to it it what survives... it still looks ok... I did contemplate masking the 'crosses' off and painting over them, as well as the yellow 4 so it is the same yellow as the campaign stripe.

Mr Mark softer did nothing to the decals either, i added a second coat and gently ran a toothpick over them to get bring out the panel lines.

I came across a 1:32 decal set on a website so maybe I'll revisit this particular plane in 1:32 scale at some stage down the track.

cheers
pete

Bf109f4016.jpg

Bf109f4017.jpg

yeah looks pretty good to me as well.

had the very same issues with the decals from my ICM Spitfire IX kit, decals just perished as i tried to get them off the backing paper only managed to use the roundels !!!!!

Shame about the decals mate, but still looks good I reckon. If you really don't like them , maybe someone has spares here? (What size are the Balkenkreuz for example?)

Yep, decals are certainly not ICM's strong point! They don't look too bad though. Just give the model a couple of more clear gloss coats, to even-out the overall finish, and you'll probably find the decals look a lot better. When fully set, then apply the semi-matt coat.

Ok, I took it very very gently and managed to get most of the decals in place. Only had a few expire totally. Shame about the upper wing walk markings, they broke into a million pieces.
Added a couple of clear coats over everything and it looks ok! how bad does my clear coat look in macro though???

looking forward to some weathering as I've never tried before, going to use chalk pastel/water mix. If it looks terrible I'll be able to rub it off and start again.

cheers
pete

Bf109f4018.jpg

Bf109f4019.jpg

Looks good to me Pete.8)
Look forward to seeing the weathering mate.
Cheers,
Tony..

ok first ever attempt at weathering...... I may have been a little heavy handed but it definately looks like its been out n about!

Bf109f4020.jpg

Bf109f4021.jpg

going to tackle the upside now.......:|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back