Here is the translation for you Shinpachi-san. You have done the same for us so many times, I'll return the favor. The letter reads:
"Dear Folks,
I have a little time to spare so I thought I would drop you a line. Well, I'm now a full fledge [sp] veteran of the Southwest Pacific. I've just been through the most trying experience of my life. One night in particular I gave my ["life" is scratched out] heart to God. Tell Tommy I got him a Jap rifle. If I can ever get it back I'll give it to him. Its a little dirty but when its cleaned up it will look like a million dollars. The Japs use a longer rifle than us. As a matter of fact it is taller than Tommy. I couldn't get a flag because dead Japs smell too bad. The Japs were sure caught with their pants down [meaning seriously suprised]. I had one flag, but somebody swiped it from me.
I ran across a Jap dump [supply area] the other day. It was just loaded down with Sake and beer. Their sake isn't so good but their beer is delicious. I wish I had some of it [unreadable scratched out] now. The Imperial Tiger Marines of Japan aren't anymore. Our boys sure slaughtered them. The Japs are no match for Americans.
I'm enclosing some real Jap propaganda sheets. They think they can make us stop fighting by spreading crap like that around. The boys here really get a laugh out of them. I bet Mary will be shocked when she sees them but thats what the Japs put out and I think the folks back home should see them. Our outfit has been recommended for the Presidential Citation. I hope we get it. We have been promised that we will be home in June or July. I sure hope so. Well I guess thats all. Say hello too everybody.
Love,
Art"
Those leaflets and letter you own there, ScottS, are priceless heirlooms. You should never let them get out of your family for any price. If they go anywhere they should be in a museum on display. Wonderful post.