If the Rare Bear became a ww2 fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dedalos,

This is a great place to "vet" what you know or think. I came in here and thought I was fairly knowledgeable about quite a bit of things from WW2 fighter aviation. Now after having been on here for a few years I have gained quite a bit more insight, and sharpened things I suspected or "sort of" knew.

Whether it was your intention or not to insult that is the way it comes across in your postings. I have done it unknowlingly, and found I was better off to apologize and try to clarify what I was typing. The folks on here are a fabulous data base and are outstanding for vetting what you know or think. The vast majority will debate with your opinions and supply reference, and do it in a chipper manner. Just give them a chance.

Cheers,
Biff

After the war the Germans cooperated closely with the Allies involved in all the various programmes. For example Dornier technicians completed a Do335 (M17, a B-6 prototype) with their French colleagues over a 25 month period post war. After all that it only flew for a total of 6 hours and 30 minutes.

The Germans also cooperated with British testing programmes. The well known pilot Eric Brown had the advantage of speaking fluent technical German which he had learnt before the war, at the behest of Ernst Udet who happened to be a family friend.

The idea that US, British or French technicians were in some way less able to look after the captured materiel than the Germans, with whom they were working, is as ridiculous as some of the other nonsense in this thread.

During the war the biggest problem for the RAF testing captured aircraft (what became the Enemy Aircraft Flight) was a lack of spares, not knowledge or ability. Aircraft captured by individual units and sometimes used as hacks were a different thing. They were often abused until they broke, if they were made flyable at all.

Cheers

Steve

Also notice about 3/4 into the film, the Me262 in a flat spin, taking hits?

As far as Me262's dogfighting abilities, let's hear from the pilots who flew them:
Johannes Steinhoff:

Also consider that you could only fly the Me 262 at 100% for 5 minutes at takeoff (8,700 +/- 200 RPM) and then for 10 minutes for "war emergency." After that the high power setting was 90% (8,400 RPM).

Also consider that you could only fly the Me 262 at 100% for 5 minutes at takeoff (8,700 +/- 200 RPM) and then for 10 minutes for "war emergency." After that the high power setting was 90% (8,400 RPM).

Is there any fighter which can go with max power continuous?
cimmex

It was not that easy. Not all germans co operated. Eric Brown also says that several of the german mechanics were not that happy to work with him. To the point that one of them sabotaged the engine of a Ar234. It exploded while Brown was ready for take off .The guilty mechanic was sent to a prisoner camp.
He also Reports lack of manuals, documents, engines history booklets. Several of his flights were conducted without having the Official german manual
He Reports that had severe maintance problems with the 335.
Finally he confess that did not test the latest german aircraft to their full capabilities since they had not MW50 or gm1 in england.
Finally ,very often the captured german aircraft showed lower performance in us, British and soviet captivity than in german tests . Doesn t it means somethink?

PS By the way Flyboy J, is not that easy to install PROPERLY a metric screw using an anglosaxon tool...

In case of the Me262 I think it was not easy for American mechanics. They had never worked at an axial jet engine before.
cimmex

Not the case with Col. Watson.

Operation Lusty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read Arrow to the Future by Walter Boyne. He documented Operation Lusty in detail in this book

Again, that was Brown the the British experience with these aircraft. the biggest issue was spare parts as was previously mentioned.
PS By the way Flyboy J, is not that easy to install PROPERLY a metric screw using an anglosaxon tool...

Only if you use a left handed wrench!

In case of the Me262 I think it was not easy for American mechanics. They had never worked at an axial jet engine before.
cimmex

Nonsense - Basically it's the same, that's like saying a trained recip mechanic who worked on in-line engines couldn't work on radials.

Finally ,very often the captured german aircraft showed lower performance in us, British and soviet captivity than in german tests . Doesn t it means somethink?
Very few captured Axis aircraft were "factory fresh" and in some cases, war weary. It will be difficult to get exacting results from such aircraft.
The Allied test pilots also had to famiarize themselves with the idiocyncracies of the Axis aircraft just as much as Axis pilots had to take some time to learn the nuances of captured Allied aircraft.

I had to laugh a little at this comment...

This may come as a total surprise, but mechanics know the difference between a 13mm bolthead and a 1/2" bolthead. Metric tools weren't that difficult to obtain or use back then.

I had no difficulties working on my 1966 VW bug with a Type I 1.3L engine or my 1979 BMW 320i (E21) with a 2.0L M10 engine.

Last edited:
cimmex
The Americans had been working on domestic turbojet engines: General Electric J31 and the Allison J33

So there wasn't any mystery or earth shaking revelations causing mass panic when the Me262's engine cowls were raised for the first time

Good perspective Biff. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:

A few of them actually do interchange, 7/16 and 11mm works pretty good. And for those with Whitworth tools there are a few more happy coincidences.

You are much more likely to get into problems with thread diameters and pitches than the size of the bolt heads. 6 point sockets can solve a few points too.

I mean it's not like metric threads are left hand or something else really weird.

lol...yep, classic one is the M8-1.0 versus 5/16-18 bolt...which a 1/2" or 13mm wrench will fit the M8 nicely. Other SAE wrenches that fit metric boltheads are 3/8" (10mm), 9/16" (14mm) and so on...

What it boils down to, is that American mechanics aren't stupid and if they learned how to build and maintain the warplanes in their charge, then it wouldn't be all that difficult to learn the ins and outs of the Luftwaffe aircraft.

I also suspect that when the Allies overtook a Luftwaffe airbase or maintainance facility, they had access to the tools, manuals, supplies and R&R equipment as well.

Or they could have waited for any Thursday and the Snap-On tool truck would stop by

We work on SAE, metric, and Whitworth at the Planes of Fame, and try to stick with SAE when possible. But the Merlins are British standard (Whitworth) and the German and Japanese planes have metric fasteners that have not been changed out for SAE items as yet. Eventually, they will be all SAE ... except for the engines. You're pretty much stuck with what the original design used in engines as there is not sufficient material to bore holes bigger in most cases.

But with airframes, conversion is simple with the possible exception of fitted, tapered wings mount bolts. These are specific to a particular hole and are NOT interchangeable. As long as you KNOW this, it is simple, If you donlt a puzzle is created and a lot of the possible combinations must be tried to attain reassembly. The moral is to investigate any aircraft not produced here in the USA before throwing the hardware into a box during disassembly. After you make the mistake once, you won't again, I guarantee it! That assume YOU have to figure it out when you screw up.

Maybe it's easy for me since I competed on Japanese, Spanish, and Italian motorcycles for 20 years. They were ALL metric and I rapidly got used to metric fasteners. so moving to other standards isn't daunting in the least ... go get a new set of wrechs and sockets and you're most of the way there.

Last edited:
The Allies (British, French, Russian and American) all were able to operate and maintain captured German jets by using the German texts, personnel and pilots for orientation. It's not that hard to figure out.

Conversely, the Germans were able to repair, operate and evaluate captured Allied aircraft without benefit of manuals or advisers.

Users who are viewing this thread