III./JG54, Black Friday, 29 Dec 1944...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dan, is there anything else you may need? BTW see the last post of the Page before this. I posted some Typhoon stuff.

Last edited:
Also, Dan, I found this of a Dora. It says Dec. 1944 so it may help or it may not.

Attachments

• 102_5526.JPG
    102_5526.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 102_5527.JPG
    102_5527.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 102_5529.JPG
    102_5529.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 102_5528.JPG
    102_5528.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 103
I can't say it's definitely wrong, but the model of Black 10 looks a bit bright, especially considering the fuselage cammo pattern, at the rear, is similar to Nibel's machine. My model was based on an apparently reliable profile, the crash report of Nibel's Dora, and my own analysis of the photographs of it. Just a thought.

Yea. It said D-9 and December so I was like hmmmmm..

But the Typhoon stuff on the other page I posted, is that right?

Was that Typhoon's camo based on early Ops, or would the camo have remained the same through Dec44?

Good deal on the color shots of the D-9, those'll come in very handy.

I think it was the same. Because on the Color profiles on the previous page it doesn't show any new camo schemes. Do those help?

Dave, the Typhoon colour scheme and pattern remained the same, although when first introduced, they had narrow black and white identification stripes below the wings, to avoid confusion with the FW190A, and, for a time, a chord-wise yellow band on the upper wings. These were long gone by December '44.
Most aircraft had the over and under wing 'Invasion' stripes removed or overpainted by about late September 1944, although some still carried the 'full set' up to the end of the war. Generally, the fuselage bands were removed/overpainted, leaving the underside fuselage stripes only, as in the profile I posted. However, some aircraft also had these removed by late '44, or never had them if new/replacement aircraft. Those aircraft in 2 TAF had black spinners and, by late '44 / early '45, the Sky tailband was normally overpainted too.
In general, the Typhoons tended to look a bit scruffy, as they had spent virtually six months hopping about the Continent, in constant action of one sort or another. This is evident in most pics, but doesn't mean that any renderings should look battered and tatty - mostly the dirt, wear and tear was only visible close-up.
There were also other differences which can often only be ascertained by the serial number. The three blade prop was replaced by a four blade unit, but three blades were still around, later Typhoons had the enlarged Tempest tailplane (horizontal stabiliser you ex-Colonials call it!), but these were also often retro-fitted to earlier Mk1B's and so on!!
Quite often, the only way to be absolutely certain of how a particular machine looked at any one time is to have a pic of it at that time!
I'm getting some stuff together, including the three view of the cammo pattern and colours for both the Typhoon and the Spit IX for that period, plus details such as the stencil data and placement, scale plans etc. for the Typhoon. If you can leave it with me a few days, I'll have it all in one heap. It would be better and more convenient to e-mail it to you both, if that's OK?
Are there any specific detail information you need for both types? For example, interior colours, gunsight type, etc.
If so, let me know and I'll include it all. I'm also going to see if I can capture some relevant 'stills' from some footage I have of Typhoons, which won't neccessarily be from the Squadrons concerned, but could be useful for detail, 'atmosphere', attack angles etc.
Anyway, that's where I'm up to so far, and now I'm off to bed, as I'm b*ll*xed!!

Thanks a million, Terry...that's some huge info there, and your help is most appreciated!

As far as internal components, we unfortunately won't be able to use them, as the sim doesn't offer the ability to adjust paint colors or add/delete equipment. Still handy info for anyone wishing to detail the 'pit of thier Typhoon model project.

Take your time gathering up the info, there's still other work to be done in the mean time!

Yeah, I still don't understand why there wasn't a Typhoon in the series, since it was active throughout the ETO from '41 onwards.

The Tempest skin will work for the Typhoon, I don't think it'll be an issue since they look extremely close.

OK Dave and Dan, I'll include some stuff on the Tempest as well. Just found some more pics of the Norwegian Spits, taken at Duerne in December 1944, and they then had black spinners. I suspect the national colours on the spinners were 1945 and post war, but I'll verify and confirm this later.

No guys, dont need any Tempest info... The game doesnt have the Typhoon, so they make skins for the Tempest that make it look like the Tiffy...

Already got that skin Beau, but the skins GrauGeist and Ontos make will blow that one away....

U seen my other historical vids havent u???

OK, no Tempest stuff!
I've found some more on the 331 (Norwegian) Squadron Spits. It would appear that the National colours on the Sky spinner, along with the same, as a 'flash' on the rudder, were adopted in April 1945, on the new MkIXE's, so it'll be a black spinner for your renditions, as per 2 TAF aircraft. I'll include some colour stuff in one form or another on the Spits when I get the 'package' together.
You might want to have a look at the following web-site, which has some stuff that should be useful regarding the 439 Squadron Typhoons:- http://rcaf.com/439sqaudron/Toocon_e.htm
Parts of the site are a little cumbersome, but there are some useful photos, and aircraft listings. If you go to the bottom of the page, to the section entitled 'This day in history', you'll find a short account of actions etc on the day, plus a listing of the Typhoon serial numbers, with the individual code letter where known, and the relevant pilot.
There is a rather good colour shot of a painting of one of the Typhoons, showing the Squadron code in 'Dull Red', with the individula letter in 'Sky'. Whilst this might be right for that particular aircraft, all the pics seen to date appear to have the full code in 'Sky'. The pic I posted showing this Squadron's Typhoon taking off was, as I thought, taken in early 1945, April I think, so the 'Sky' tailband would stilll have been present in December.
Hope this helps a bit, and I'll get the rest together soon as I can.

No guys, dont need any Tempest info... The game doesnt have the Typhoon, so they make skins for the Tempest that make it look like the Tiffy...

Already got that skin Beau, but the skins GrauGeist and Ontos make will blow that one away....

U seen my other historical vids havent u???

Yep, ive seen them. Great videos too. I didnt know if you had that skin yet or not, but figured it was worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back