IL-2 Modelling Guide

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have an 1/48 Italeri Il-2 to build, have you any pics of one painted with the tractor green colour? Might be an interesting scheme to do. 8)

I have an 1/48 Italeri Il-2 to build, have you any pics of one painted with the tractor green colour? Might be an interesting scheme to do. 8)

Muller, it would be a great scheme to do. Here are some pictures (just click on the pictures to see bigger versions):

th_IL-2-TractorGreen-1-48th.jpg

th_IL-2-TractorGreen-1-48thb.jpg

th_IL-2-TractorGreen-1-48thc.jpg

th_IL-2-TractorGreen-1-48thd.jpg

You can actually buy the Tractor Green color from White Ensign Models (White Ensign Models. They're gloss paints and seem to work well. As far as this model, it's very good, but I think the interior color (including the landing gear) is too light, it should be a darker grey or bluish-grey (IMUP Blue-Grey Metal Primer if you use White Ensign). This kit was done with the wooden wings, so be ready for some panel-line filling if you wish to do this model, or you can order some replacement resin straight wings made by Verlinden from eBay (eBay My World - keystonemilitarymodels). I hope you go with it and I'd love to see the pictures when you're done. Good Luck!

Venganza

Thanks Venganza :)

Thats one cool looking sturmovik! I have a lot of the WEM enamels, don't have tractor green, its very similar to All Green, thats probably why they used it! The Il-2 I have is the two seater with swept wings, probably too late for tractor green though. Still, it'd give me an excuse to get an earlier model!

You're welcome, Muller. If you want to be historically accurate, it would need to be a single-seater to have the tractor green scheme and any excuse for a new kit is a good one. Once I get my current flight of IL-2's done (five of them!), I think I'm going to tackle the tractor green scheme myself. I have the Academy kit (which is from the 1/72nd never-released Accurate Miniatures kit - basically the scaled-down 1/48th kit) and it's very nice. Unfortunately it represents an all-metal version, so time to get out my sanding sticks and get rid of all those nasty panel lines (for once I wish a kit had raised lines, not engraved).

Venganza

Harry , have a look at the current GB. There is a thread about Il-2 and its colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back