Introducing....me!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

blacksheep1

Recruit
May 27, 2006
ohio
www.freewebs.com
Hi, everyone.
I'm blacksheep1, an Air Force brat whose parents both served: Dad from 1968-1998, Mom from 1969-1974. Grandpa served in the Army Air Corps, other Grandpa served in the Army Air Force until it switched to the reg. Air Force.
I joined this forum to see if I could learn any information about a particular plane I'm constantly drawn to at the Wright-Patterson AFB Museum here in Dayton, Ohio. The name of the plane is the Strawberry B*tch. If anyone can tell me anything about this plane, I'd appreciate it! I think she's a B-24, but I'm not sure. She has no ball turret, only side guns, a nose gun, and a top turret. All the photos we take of her come out blurred and you can't even tell you're looking at a plane. Sure would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Here ya go.....

The B-24D-160-CO (S/N 42-72843) "Strawberry Bit*h flew combat missions from North Africa in 1943-44 with the 512th Bomb Squadron. The aircraft was named, in part, because of the pinkish-tinted paint. It did NOT take part, however, in one of the most famous missions, the huge raid on the oil refinery complex at Ploesti, Romania on August 1, 1943.

Attachments

• Strawberry1.jpg
    Strawberry1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 103
  • StrawberryBitch_nose2.jpg
    StrawberryBitch_nose2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Straw1.jpg
    Straw1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 101
  • straw2.jpg
    straw2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 108
  • StrawberryBitch_noseart.jpg
    StrawberryBitch_noseart.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 102
a 12th AF rig correct or at least at the time before a transfer to a B-24 unit in the 15th out of Italy, pink desert camo removed to olive-drab and finally all over aluminum to make them stand out to Luftwaffe a/c . . . 8)

might want to go to www.armyairforces.com

join up and look through old postings under heavy bombers as the information is there . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back