Iraq - surely not again!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Howdy, worrying news coming out of Iraq over recent days especially with Iraqi helicopter attacks taken place today.

Thoughts on solutions and interventions from the US and NATO? If any at all?

Depends what ISIL do with their new gains. Leave the Kurds alone and don't create the sort of terrorist training camp that Afghanistan became and the West may well leave well alone. Their is no stomach for an intervention. Here in the UK I'd say any proposed military solution would stand less chance of getting through a parliamentary debate than the failed Syrian one did.

One things for sure, the Iraqi government forces won't shift them out of Mosul anymore than they've shifted them out of Fallujah. So much for the much vaunted US and Western trained Iraqi Army! Shades of the ARVN there, another lesson forgotten.

Steve

The PM has a made a statement today saying there will be no UK intervention but let's see who is pulling the strings and takes the lead before I trust in that statement.

I didn't realise what a strong union had been made between Iraq and Iran. Will sure make western intervention slightly more controversial than usual.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing is..................

They are capable of taking this well Outside their own region.
As we have seen on 911.

Heard the insurgents there in Iraq took 80 Turk consulate staff members hostage.

Turkey is not one country to fool around with...

That was brought up in conversation on the radio last night as well "Turkey is not one country to fool around with" .First I heard about the consulate though.

Doesn't Turkey have something like the third or fourth biggest airforce in the world?

Thankfully the Turks are slightly more restrained than in the past, but even in modern day Turkey the current PM is causing uproar with what is a now well developed ever increasing westernised population by trying to enforce the old cultural way of living. Banning YouTube there was a crazy thing to do!

The unrest just seams to be spreading all over the region slowly but surely

First I heard about the consulate though.
The jihadist group "ISIS" captured the Turkish consulate in Mosul, taking the Diplomats and consulate workers hostage.

The group's name "ISIS" stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria...however, being "devout" islamists, the name "ISIS" is perhaps not a good choice, since Isis is better known as an ancient Egyptian deity and is not allowed to be represented in islam! :lol:

The unfortunate thing is..................

They are capable of taking this well Outside their own region.
As we have seen on 911.

And if they allow something like that, or train people for operations abroad, it would make a Western intervention more possible. Although 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudi (no chance of an intervention against Saudi Arabia :) ) the leaders had trained in Afghanistan IIRC.

Steve

Yes and coincidently the Sudi regime stand for and support the same beliefs as ISIS, apparently responsible for providing arms. Again more controversy given the close ties most of our nations have with SA.

Shocking thing to me is that there are bloody British Born Brits out there fighting for ISIS, certainly in Sirya. When I flew back in from Istanbul Turkey (gateway to the east) last month via Birmingham you should have seen the extra Border an police guys compared to when I return from being in Italy. I think we have known this is coming for a long time.

I think ISIS will have been emboldened by the craven lack of response from the US and Europe over Ukraine. If Europe (well Germany) sit on their hands over something just a few hundred miles away they are going to do less than zero about something on another continent.

Well, the situation in the Ukraine is a touchy one.

A military response sounds like a good idea on paper, but reality dictates that it offers a nightmare in execution. If NATO swoops in and kick's Putin's ass, then Russia's allies see this as justification to run to his aid. One of Russia's allies at the moment is China.

China has already been playing games in their neck of the woods, bullying Japan, Vietnam, the Phillipines, etc. and could certainly use this as an excuse to "secure" their region. And of course, Russia would have to "secure" all ethnic speaking Russians, like in Poland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and so on while "securing" her borders.

Russia also has allies in the middle east...see where this is going?

This would be nothing but an epic can of worms being opened...

As and old SAC troop, my feelings would be LeMay'n, Yes you can drill through glass and radiated oil should just be considered high obtain. But we don't have anyone with ball in Washington now and there is no credibility as a result.

Iran/Iraq War II?

Iran has some of thier Revolutionary Guard Troops in Iraq ATTM.The RGT have always in some form or fashion suppling fighters/supplies in Irag since the war started now it seems they are putting themselves there maybe as observers who knows :rolleyes:Shoot Russia/Putin have been allied with Iran for years and China if I am not mistaken has thrown an occassional nay vote for Iran's favor in the UN.ISIS made a statement today this is part of the Califate(?) as they go and take Bagdad while much of the news media this side of the Atlantic thought the califate to be a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back