Best Itallian Plane?

• Fiat CR.42

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Savoia-Marchetti SM.81

• Breda 88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's hard to find much at all about the Italian planes in the war. How often have you seen a little Italian symbol painted on the side of an airplane? I can probably count the number of times on one hand.

LG- you are so True!!

But what I have found I am ipressed with, the fighters and the SM79 and 81. I need to read about the G.55 more. But a lot of the planes looked good with nice lines and had some nice thought to them. And who can dislike the inverted Vee engines?

Yeah, the Germans did use a few MC. 202s and 205s. The Italians did have some good planes, but in general they seem to have been disinterested in the war.

I don't think the Italians broke the 2,000 mark on anyone design. That's just a guess and I could easily be wrong. Anyone know?

LG- I have not seen numbers the MC. 202 was about 1500 units before the war ended. That was the top fighter. The 205 was next but less the 100 operational. The G.55 I was reading was even less numbers. It did seem to proform well but just came to late.

Here are some numbers I found on Italian aircraft
G.50 Freccia - 778 plus 2 prototypes; G.55 Centauro - 289 plus 16 pre-production; MC. 200 Saetta - approx. 1,100; MC. 202 Folgore - approx. 1,500; MC. 205 Veltro - 265. That is my no means a complete list but it is clear that the Italians either lacked the industrial ability or the will to produce aircraft in numbers that would really make a difference.

that's less than the allies would make of just one plane

but the good thing about italain planes was that they were of a very high standard, i'm not saying they were immensly strong, just very good quality.................

Quality in what since? Everything prior to the Mc. 202 was of relatively poor performance and even weaker armament.

LG- good start, you did mis the Re 2000, 2002, and 2005, but then the numbers are similar to the MC aircraft and mostly the 2002 was the best as the 2005 was introduced in 1944.

As for quality the MC 205 was very good and the 202 was the start of greatnes, but I wouls say it is the small production that Italy faces and as stated before the engine development programs. I think they were not ready for the war at the start and as they failed in N. Africa that set the standard.

Quality in what since? Everything prior to the Mc. 202 was of relatively poor performance and even weaker armament.

if you looked at my last post I said quality, but not nessisarily strengh, many of their earlier planes were mostly handmade, it's like if you by furnature, if it's handmade, there won't be many made, and they'll be expensive, but they'll be very good quality..................

In that sense maybe, but their quality as weapons of war was rather poor. I haven't been able to find numbers on any of the Re. series yet but I doubt any of them were produced in huge numbers. The Italians were having trouble well before North Africa. Look at their attempt to take back Ethiopia before the war.

Abyssinia went well for them, tanks against natives with old rifles and spears. During the War, Greece beat them, then Britain did even though they were outnumbered 6 - 1 by the Italians.

Users who are viewing this thread