Jeff's Excellent Fishing Adventure

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Well, I am back. I came home yesterday.It is earlier than I had hoped but once again life got in the way of fun and I found myself heading home three days sooner than planned.

The trip started off on August 06th with me leaving my place at 02:45 hrs and 14 hours later I arrived at my brother's place. Along the way I saw lots of things that I have seen before but this time I stopped or at least slowed down to photograph them.

My first quick stop after leaving my place just south of Guelph Ontario was a Tim Horton's coffee shop just outside of Barrie Ontario. This was about 1.5 hours into the trip. After that it was up highway 11. Around 06:45 I arrived in what I consider the gateway city to northern Ontario, North Bay. This is the home of the Dionne Quintuplet's Museum which is located in the house where the five sisters were born in 1934. At the time they were the only set of quints who all survived childbirth. One must remember that this was in the days of no fertility drugs or in vitro fertilization.


About fifty minutes north of North Bay one enters the small town of Temagami. Here it was time to stretch my legs, take " care of business", get a coffee and capture my next sighting of interest.


After a short rest it was back into the car and with the nose still pointed north I forged ahead. In the town of Earlton one finds this curious roadside attraction.


Now I have always wondered about this Buffalo and why it was in Earlton as the Buffalo certainly was not native to this part of Canada. The answer was provided by my brother when he advised that there used to be a zoo located in the town but it shut down quite some time ago. The Christmas lights....I can only guess the owners of the Buffalo are too lazy too remove them each year.

At 11:00 I reached the town of Cochrane and made the left turn to head into the northwest portion of the drive. Shortly after leaving Cochrane I passed this fella and after a short drive I stopped and waited for him to pass by.


Just west of the hamlet of Fauquier is this classic railway bridge. One can drive for miles without seeing other traffic but as I approached the bridge I had someone behind me so I had to shoot the bridge while moving.


Within a few minutes I arrived in another small hamlet, this one being Moonbeam. Look it up if you don't believe me. Here is what one cannot miss while taking the 30 seconds to drive through.


After leaving Moonbeam, the next "big" town ( population 5000 ) is Kapuskasing. Lots to see in this once mighty logging town.





After leaving The Kap as she is known and before reaching Hearst I came across this guy chugging along eastbound.


Hearst is the last big town located on Highway 11 until one gets to Nipigon which is located near Thunder Bay. Hearst pays honour to it's northern heritage with a neat wildlife diorama.



The last photo in chapter one of this thread is of the most random items one can see while driving along Highway 11. Most, if not all of the pictured items have a historical connection to the area they are located but this last one is totally random being on some guy's front lawn. I guess he liked Jurassic World a whole lot more than I did.


to be continued.....




I saw many other things to photograph along the way but it was usually as I passed them. I noted these and figured I would get them on the way home but events that necessitated me coming home early also meant I was not to dawdle along the way.
Last edited:
Part 2.

After catching some sleep at my brother's place we awoke Friday morning and packed up the truck for the cabin. First stop was the grocery store to pick up a few last minute things and then we were off. Once at camp we opened up the cabin and got settled in. One of the first things one sees at camp is my brother's weather vane. He made it himself out of two planks of cedar and while it would not win a group build, there is no mistaking its pedigree.


After lunch it was time to hit the water and get down to the business of catching fish. My brother's camp is located on Lower Twin Lake. There is a small river joining it to Upper Twin Lake and it is along this river where one will find this old railway bridge. One has to wonder at the working conditions that the labourers went through to build this bridge and the thousands of miles of track that criss cross this country. This is absolutely rugged ground, swampy in places and thick with trees and bush not to mention bears, wolves and other assorted work hazards.


Just outside the river exit into Upper Twin Lake I spotted this majestic fella/gal soaring along.


A quick boat trip to one of my brother's hot spots quickly produced the first fish of the trip, a nice 1 pound Walleye, a good eating size fish and this was this poor guys fate.



With a good start one could only wonder how many more fish were to be caught.

to be con't.


After a hard afternoon and evening of fishing on the Friday, it did not take long to fall asleep on Friday night. I slept in till about 06:00 on Saturday and after laying around for a bit I decided it was time to get up and prepare breakfast for myself and my brother.

There is no need to explain the contents of the frying pan.


In addition to fishing a bit my brother is also a hunter and runs his own trap lines. Pretty much an outdoor kind of guy. As such he has a number of items around his camp.


This is a skull of an old bull moose. Not a big rack as my brother explained because of the elderly state the moose was in. This skull was found by my brother one year while out hunting.


Both the wolf and the lynx were trapped by my brother.





Lots of other stuff including moose racks as well as whitetail deer antlers but you get the idea.

to be cont.


Saturday's weather was a mixed bag including two hours of rain which we fished through. The afternoon brought a clearing so it was more fishing and we were rewarded with lots of fish being caught. The nice weather also brought out some feathered friends.


Mature bald eagle


immature baldy


a couple of families of mergansers w/o any adult males. The young ones stay pretty close to momma.

After a "tough" day of fishing it was time for our reward. Back to the camp and a whole lot of deliciousness.


deep fried potatoes right out the oil. I burnt the roof of my mouth on these bad boys but it was soooooo worth it.


Into the oil goes some walleye.


and the finished product....a bowl of crispy, golden fried walleye. My mouth is watering even as I type this.

to be con't.


Excellent. Terry sent me an e mail yesterday advising same.....makes me glad I am not a vegetarian or vegan. I do support PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.



Users who are viewing this thread