Ju-88 found in the Adriatic sea close to Montenegro

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
I read in our newspapers yesterday that a German Ju-88 was found in the Adriatic sea close to Sutomore harbor in Montenegro (former Yugoslavia). The wreck is 56 m deep and in a good condition.
I haven´t found any info in English about it yet. Anyway, there was written that the DPA agency brought this news.
Attached is a map with a Czech notes. The red dot shows the crash site.

Attachments

• crash_site.jpg
    crash_site.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 297
I heard of this news a few days ago myself, but didn't want to post anything because I was hoping some actual photos of the aircraft itself will show up first. However nothing so far. Wreck is known to some Montenegro divers for a while know and it became a tourist attraction of a sort, but only a selected few had the privilege to see it. It was discovered back in September 2008. However only recently aircraft was identified as Ju 88 when experts from Aeronautical Museum from Belgrade were summoned to examine the site. Their research confirmed that this is a wreck of Junkers Ju 88. Previously there were many theories about which type of airplane this is. Exact location of the wreck is still held a secret however out of fear of unauthorized attempts to recover the parts.

I will post Serbian news article about this when I find some spare time to translate it to English.

Last edited:
As promised earlier I've translated the news article regarding Junkers Ju 88 wreck found underwater at the coast of Montenegro. With great regret I must say that no photos of this aircraft had been published yet. Still hoping they will appear somewhere and if they do I'll post them here.
According to this article it appears that State authorities haven't made any plans for this wreck so far while the people who found it would be keen to keep it where it is now - under the sea. Can't say I agree with that opinion. If the wreck is indeed in good condition as they say it is, then I think it should be raised and restored and not left to deteriorate further under the water. Anyway here's the article...

Bomber Wreck At The Coast Of Montenegro

Source: "Vijesti" 2nd February 2010
By Radomir Petrić

After almost year and a half mystery of sunk aircraft near beach at Čanj is finally solved

Lying in sand at the depth of 54 meters, as a current habitat for dozens of lobsters, there's a wreck of German bomber Junkers Ju 88 from WW2! Secret of this aircraft, about which "Vijesti" published exclusive story 18 months ago, was solved by experts from Belgrade. Wreck of Junkers, which was discovered by international team of divers in 2008 already became one of the greatest must see underwater attractions on Montenegro coast together with sunk 17th Century ship, Mikovićeva cave, torpedo ship "Dag" and antic shipyard Bigovica.

- We have just received answer from the experts of Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade that, according to available footage and dimensions of the wreck, this is indeed German twin engine/four crew medium bomber Junkers Ju 88 from WW2 period - Dragutin-Dašo Durutović, famous lawyer and diver from Bar, said for "Vijesti".

He was a member of diver team which in September 2008 explored waters off Čanj, motivated by fishermen stories about "something which was snagging and tearing their nets for decades."

When twin engined wreck was found, it wasn't quite clear from the footage which type of plane was in question. Speculations were ranging from Blenheim and SM.79 to Dornier Do 17 and Messerchmitt Bf 110. All dilemmas were resolved after new series of dives to the wreck in last September when high quality video footage was taken.

- In comparison to first dives in 2008, when there was a great excitement about the discovery, dive the last September left completely different impression. With one year passed, wreck looks different now, it's covered with more fishing nets, one engine is moved, but all in all she's in very good condition and offers much to see. Both engines are still there and wings are still attached to the fuselage. Fuselage is damaged and the aft part of it together with tail surfaces isn't visible, probably submerged in sand, damaged by the crash and staying under water for over 50 years. - Durutović tells.

Selected few who had the opportunity to see this wreck up close are: Željko Dragutinović from New Jersey (owner of divers ship "Down Under"), Durutović (who is also diving instructor), Srđan Miletić (diving instructor from Kruševac), diving instructor Ivana Orlović-Kranjc and her husband Janez, Dušan Varda (film maker, director and diver from Belgrade, autor of TV documentary "Secrets of the South Seas'"and author of book "Underwater Treasure of Montenegro"), Alexander Sandi Jereb (diver from Ljubljana) Milan Vujačić (diver from Bar) and famous diver Đorđe Đukić.

- After few failed attempts because of bad weather we managed to locate the wreck again on 1 September. We were lucky to have good weather for filming the wreck, diving down the rope in several groups from two ships. We measured the dimensions of the wreck and made really good shots which were used by experts from Belgrade to identify the type. We are ready to give the exact location of the wreck to the State officials, Military, Police and to Tourist-divers which could go to visit the wreck with our help. However, due to the large depth and strong current this is not advised to amateurs but only to experienced divers. Out of caution we haven't yet marked the exact position of the wreck out of fear of unauthorized attempts to raise the parts. I've seen a lot of wrecks in Mediterranean Sea and am of opinion that this Junkers has all that it takes to make it a real under water attraction. On our coast there is only a submerged Spitfire at Boka Kotorska bay, but this aircraft had completely fell apart with parts spread on large area at the bottom of the bay. Junkers is in much better state, it's in one piece and more interesting to see. - Durutović concludes.

Last edited:
My name is Dusan Varda.

I was the first person after more than 65 years on the wreckage of Ju88 in Montenegro.
Pictures are poor, Nikonos leaked at deep bellow 50 meters. Only few close-ups.
There is a short video material made on site, from which experts in Belgrade Aircraft Museum made indetification.

We are still looking to find ANYTHING about aircraft orgin, or date and circumstances of crash. No eyewitness, no records in local archives.

If anyone of you can find something about it, it will be very nice and helpful.

Ju88 is lying on a sea floor in one piece, with no tail, upside down...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back