Junkers G.38 "In Progress" Artwork

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ColesAircraft

Airman 1st Class
Still quite a lot to do: shadows, many details (and something attaching those monster wheels to the aircraft would be nice), 'Lufthansa' livery and "D" numbers still to be added - along with some ground equipment, chocks and people/crew.

Nevertheless it's "shareable" as it is - and I'm eager for input!

Wondering about the atmospherics and overall color.

4568998707_d7b2212aae_b.png

- Ron Cole

Cole's Aircraft Aviation Art by Ron Cole

I've always thought it was a beautiful plane. Beautiful job.

Yeah, I've really kind of fallen for it, too. I've been a big fan of Japanese aircraft, but I had no idea they license-built the G.38 as the Ki-20 - and operated six of them! I only learned that while conducting research for this art piece.

Evidently the Ki-20 was regarded as the most secret aircraft in the Japanese inventory well into WW2; long after it was technically obsolete.

I think the G.38/Ki-20 has to be up there w/ the B-19 as one of the great early "largest airplanes in the world."

- Ron Cole

Yeah, I've really kind of fallen for it, too. I've been a big fan of Japanese aircraft, but I had no idea they license-built the G.38 as the Ki-20 - and operated six of them! I only learned that while conducting research for this art piece.

Evidently the Ki-20 was regarded as the most secret aircraft in the Japanese inventory well into WW2; long after it was technically obsolete.

I think the G.38/Ki-20 has to be up there w/ the B-19 as one of the great early "largest airplanes in the world."

- Ron Cole

Wow, first I heard about the Japanese version as well. Dammit, wished I had known that for the Heavies GB we just had!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
the painting is, i am afraid, wrong

Either change the date to 39 or so or remove the crosses.

This Junkers G38, Sktz GF+GG, was pressed into service during the occupation of Norway when it was assigned to KGrzbV.107 and used to transport military supplies to Oslo-Fornebu. It was later assigned to I./KGzbV 172 with parts of the tail painted yellow. It later took part in the Balkans campaign and was eventually destroyed at Athens-Tatoi airfield during an attack by the RAF on 17th May 1941

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
the painting is, i am afraid, wrong

Either change the date to 39 or so or remove the crosses.

This Junkers G38, Sktz GF+GG, was pressed into service during the occupation of Norway when it was assigned to KGrzbV.107 and used to transport military supplies to Oslo-Fornebu. It was later assigned to I./KGzbV 172 with parts of the tail painted yellow. It later took part in the Balkans campaign and was eventually destroyed at Athens-Tatoi airfield during an attack by the RAF on 17th May 1941

Actually, there are no crosses on the a/c in the painting. She's a civil airliner serving w/ Lufthansa on the Berlin/London route in this period.

- Ron Cole

PS: Fantastic pictures! I wish I'd had those to help me w/ under-wing details!

Last edited:
Finished it!

4582868863_1267c5c119_b.jpg

That reminds me of a REALLY clunky version of the Vought XF5U :).

Vought_XF5U.jpg

Just has that weird wide thin shape to it.

But maybe I'm drawing scorpions in the stars here (Read: Obscure way of saying maybe I'm connecting things that aren't really connected.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back