Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai (George) 1/48 scale (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. I wondered all the way through how it was going to turn out. Thankfully it went better than I'd expected. Nearing the next stage with some Pro Modellers black wash for the panel lines and some other general weathering.

Okay, after a bit of gap, here's the final result. Encountered one or two glitches along the way which have detracted from the overall finish in some areas. Namely the underside which suffered from me trying to use artists' oils where the panel line wash wouldn't stay when wiping away the excess.

Pictures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6: Finished plane.

Pictures 7, 8 and 9: The underside. After the gloss coat, I put on a Pro-Modellers dark wash for the panel lines. In the areas where it kept wiping away I tried using a mixture of artists's oils. But this proved to be very awkward to clean up, despite the gloss coat alreadyh applied, and the panels have somewhat darkened as a result from their original colour and shading. So, not a very satisfactory result and I think I'll steer clear from them in future. (Maybe try acrylic instead).

Pictures 10 and 11: The undercarriage legs - set into very stable fixing points, making for very easy handling of the model without feeling it will break every time you move it.

Pictures 12 and 13: A peer into the office; and not easy to see into with its curved sidewalls. Unfortunately, the canopy caught some overspray when matt coting the underside as I wrongly thought it wouldn't catch any whilst the plane was upside down. I tried cleaning it up as best I could. Only the sliding section was saved as it wasn't in place at the time. (If I thought the build warranted it I'd get a replacement).

Pictures 14 and 15: Engine, cowling, propeller and leading edges.

Pictures 16 and 17: Canopy open and closed.

Pictures 18, 19, 20 and 21: Various shots, with a little weathering added to the replaced Hinomaru.

Doing the weathering for this aircraft was a sharp learning process and I found out what does and doesn't work well through the finishing stage. Definitely a fan of the IJN and IJA warbirds, though, and I've got a couple more stacked away for another time and another try.

1IMG.jpg
2IMg.JPG
3IMG.jpg
4IMG.jpg
5IMG.jpg
6IMG.jpg
7IMG.jpg
8IMG.jpg
9IMG.jpg
10IMG.jpg
11IMG.jpg
12IMG.jpg
13IMG.jpg
14IMG.jpg
15IMG.jpg
16IMG.JPG
17IMG.JPG
18IMG.jpg
19IMG.jpg
20IMG.jpg
21IMG.jpg

Beautifully done. I have not had much luck using an acrylic wash for panel lines and other details. I've found that the wash dries too quickly and leaves traces in unwanted areas.

Thanks very much guys. And thanks Crimea R - I'll keep that in mind as I don't want to get into the retrieval state I got into over the underside on this one again. It slowed things up somewhat but more importantly it nearly wrecked things. Not too convinced about the result anyway as I think it looks a bit too grubby underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back