Liberandos B-24

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
I've been working on this one for a while. The kit is the old Revell B-24D in 1/72. Even with its problems, the kit still makes into a nice model with a little work. I can't find any info on this aircraft but I assume it is either post or right at the end of WW II by the markings. The weather has been damp and rainy here for about two months so I'm just now getting my final paint coats finished on quite a few different planes.
Ed

Attachments

• DSC02528.jpg
    DSC02528.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC02530.jpg
    DSC02530.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC02531.jpg
    DSC02531.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02535.jpg
    DSC02535.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02539.jpg
    DSC02539.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC02540.jpg
    DSC02540.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC02542.jpg
    DSC02542.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC02543.jpg
    DSC02543.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 224
Nice work Ed

That Old Revell B-24 brings back memories, i think that was the earliest kit I can remember when I was a kid.
It came out with a scheme for Buffalo Bill, probably started my interest in nose art and US bombers.

Cheers

Mike

Nice work mate. I remember that kit when it first came out, in the mid 1960s, and it made a bit of a stir. There was a thread on this, and or the Group, somewhere on the forum , I think about a year ago. There were pics showing the maps on the nose etc, so there might be some info in there.

Well done Ed! I found this:

"The Blue Streak was originally named Florine Jo Jo, SN# 411163. She was a member of the HALPRO group that eventually became the 376th Bomb Group. I believe the aircraft was a veteran of the first high level Ploesti mission in 1942. It was not part of the 1943 low level raid. The Blue Streak went on to survive 110 missions with the 376th bomb group and was sent home for a war bond tour. This must have been quite a feat considering most missions were flown from primitive airfields in the desert. She survived 19 months of battle overseas, and 1,058 combat hours. Her scoreboard reads one destroyer, one merchant vessel, one tanker, and 23 enemy aircraft destroyed. She dropped 297 tons of bombs, and never lost a man. The ship required 19 engines, two new wings, one new rudder, and many aluminum patches during her career."

from Consolidated B-24D Liberator by James Matthews

Great work Ed
That Old Revell B-24 brings back memories, i think that was the earliest kit I can remember when I was a kid.

I know it's the first kit I ever made. My dad flew in 24's and bought it for me when I was six or seven and helped me put it together. I think its still in a box up in the attic.

Great info. Thanks. It's good to know the history behind your builds. I found many references to the Liberandos but none on "Blue Streak".
Ed

Nice work ed.. I think the bottom half of the stabilizers are supposed to be NG (on the inside). Was how it went on my 1/48 Lib, might be different for your bird though.

.. I think the bottom half of the stabilizers are supposed to be NG (on the inside). Was how it went on my 1/48 Lib, might be different for your bird though.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them both ways. Don't know why I decided to do it this way,the grey undersides would have been easier !
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back