List for next run to hobby shop. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have the compressor and all. Need to set aside some time to fool around with it, I mean I hooked it up to the compressor and got the psi thing down, but haven't tried paint with it yet. :oops:

Yea Harrison I read some of the other post in here and saw that but I use my Badger 175 alot @ 10-15psi now I do not know how low the Azteck will go but you might want to try it out.

Okay here's the list of things you'll most likely need

1 ) Rope ( always forgotten )
2 ) Trousers ,running shoes ,gloves ,jersey and beanie all preferably black
3 ) face paint in matching colour
4 ) a back pack
5 ) Map
6 ) Hammer / pliers
7 ) A getaway car
8 ) ear muffs ( for when siren goes off)
9 ) a Large steak incase of pet puppy

The sad part is I was totally clueless until item # 7 when it dawned on me :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to the hemostat. I use mine in place of tweezers, I find it gives better control and it's more comfortable when using it for long periods of time. I also find it pretty handy putting a tooth pick in it to hold my work, especially after painting.

Attachments

• hemo.JPG
    hemo.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 56
Okay, does anybody know about blue-tac? I am looking at a dry brushing tutorial and the guy recommends blue-tac to 'mask' off the other areas.

Thanks Jamie - now that I've seen your pics, I know exactly what a hemostat is, just didn't know that's what they were called! I used to have a pair, which I found extremely useful. Don't know where they went though, probably lost in a house move.
Harrison, 'Blue Tac' is a putty-like compound, normally packed as a 'sheet', which is used for sticking notes, pictures, etc to walls without leaving pin holes or similar. It's re-usable, and available from office or staionery stores; might have a different name in the 'States, although the name is a brand name, not a product name.
For masking, it can be rolled into a 'snake' shape, and pressed onto a model to follow the line of say, a camouflage pattern, where it will give a soft-edged mask when the paint is sprayed.

I have not found a real use for a hemostat. Though Viking is making me think. I have a couple, but their clamping power is huge and you certainly cannot use them for actual model parts. Or so I don't think.

B-17 focus upon the basic skills. Get those in order first before you buy a whole bunch on money for a skill level you are aiming for.

Basics for me?

A good set of brushes and take DANG good care of them. Don't back brush with them.
Jars to hold your thinner/water. Keep it clean!
A box of toothpicks (mixing paints, scraping, etc)800grit wet/dry sandpaper
1200grit wet/dry sandpaper
tweezers
pin vice drill (thanks Airframes!!!)
putty (Work on technique... not on fancy putty. Even cheap putty works to build skills)
surger thread (its a real small clear poly thread that looks like scale wire and cannot be snapped. Use it for wire, antenna, etc. A small spool will last you a lifetime.)
Johnson's Klear Floor Polish
Blue painters tape (masking without taking paint off)
Xacto knives (or similar) with blade replacements
Small scissors

Much more than that without mastering the basics is just Christmas (overkill).

Oh and the underlined can be bought a local grocery store.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton Matt!

In my P-40 thread I have a few pics of a pin vice and VERY small drill bits I received in the mail.

I have tweezers, putty, a case for my thinners, and my favorite small scissors.

When I go I'll get:

Brushes
Basic colors and others.
They have a hell of a lot of stuff, so I will have to figure out what I REALLY need and what can wait.
Then of course, gotta get myself a kit :D

hemostat is a locking arterial clamp used in sugery could be quite handy for holding fiddly bits dont know that you will find one in your hobby shop though

Seeing as I work in the health care industry I have acquired several surgical tools that have proved to be useful in scale modeling. Just be careful with hemostats (Surgical Clamp) because they grip tight and depending on the teeth can damage small parts. When I use them I never lock the clamp unless I'm holding the spree or something connected to the part.

Thanks Jamie - now that I've seen your pics, I know exactly what a hemostat is, just didn't know that's what they were called! I used to have a pair, which I found extremely useful. Don't know where they went though, probably lost in a house move.
Harrison, 'Blue Tac' is a putty-like compound, normally packed as a 'sheet', which is used for sticking notes, pictures, etc to walls without leaving pin holes or similar. It's re-usable, and available from office or staionery stores; might have a different name in the 'States, although the name is a brand name, not a product name.
For masking, it can be rolled into a 'snake' shape, and pressed onto a model to follow the line of say, a camouflage pattern, where it will give a soft-edged mask when the paint is sprayed.

Ypu can also use plummers puddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back