Little girl defends herself

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I disagree.

My property belongs to me, and a burgler has no right to steel my ****. If he wants it, he can pay the price!

Shooting in Butte , MontanaÂ
Shotgun pre-teen vs. Illegal alien Home Invaders :
Butte, Montana November 5, 2007

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana, and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

It's a nice story, but it isn't true. See for example Snopes:
snopes.com: Home Invasion Thwarted by 11-Year-Old Girl

Furthermore if you were shoot a burglar or even "assault" him here in Europe you risk going to jail for even longer than him.

Not in the UK. In the UK you have a right to use any level of force, including lethal force, to protect yourself or others. You can't, for example, run over a thief who is running down the road carrying your laptop, but if a burglar is breaking in to your house, you are entitled to use force to defend yourself.

See for example this case:
BBC NEWS | England | London | No charges over neighbour killing

Evan,

One must be careful not to be too trigger happy though. A burglar usually just wants your valuables and they often carry nothing else but a crow bar or some other entry tool. Usually they aren't killers and have no intention of hurting anyone, infact they mostly run in fear if anyone shows up. And so it is important not to just blast the bastard upon first sight without warning, and if he starts running then by all means let him - otherwise you might end up in more trouble than him.

If you had 2 young children in your home, you would understand. I don't give a rat's azz what he is here for. He entered my home by breaking in. My family counts on me to provide for an protect them. You enter my home illegally, be prepared to face the consequences.

My family are the most important things in my life and I would die to protect them. You break into my house, I am not going to wait for you to harm my wife or my children. Period.
Needless to say I'd smoke any burglar who brakes into my house with a firearm without a moments hesitation as-well Evan, he won't get the slightest chance to hurt anyone I can guarantee, it'll be over before he knows it. However there is a certain comfort in knowing the gun laws are as strict as they are here, as they mean that IF the burglar IS armed it is highly likely with a visible weapon and not a hidden away pistol - which helps decision making and is good in court.
!

If you have to wait to see if the perp is armed before firing, YOU could be the one who is dead. Tough talk is one thing, but the reality of the situation is that he who hesitates is dead. If someone comes bursting through your door, you have sub-second timing to determine who's gonna get capped. If you wait to see if he is armed, you will be dead. If you fire as the dirtbag comes crashing through, you have won the element of surprise and the grand prize of being able to live.

Not entirely sure how the law is in the US about this, but I think it's similar.

I know in Texas we have a law called, something like "The night time law". It basically says if you go outside and see someone taking something out of your truck, you can shoot them on the spot. I have 1st hand knowledge of cops helping out robbery victims when the victim shot the burgler.

I go by two priciples........

1. It's against the laws of the U.S. to steal.
2. It's against God's laws (Thou shall not steal)

And as a victim who has had his home buglarized, I can tell you it's not an easy feeling to go to bed for a while. And try calming down your wife and kids. Screw them ****ing cowards. If you steal, you deserve whatever consequences that come your way.

If you had 2 young children in your home, you would understand

I do understand Evan, infact I haven't been saying otherwise than you on this issue. I would die to protect my family as-well as I'd rather die myself than not to have them around, and really who wouldn't ?

I said one has to be careful not to be too trigger happy, the big reason being that the burglar most likely isn't armed and if he is you'll get the first shot anyhow - unless you're of the opinion he comes bursting through the door pointing a pistol around commando style ?? ;) Remember you're cocked ready to aim, the guy who just crawled through your window or just broke open you door isn't!

Tough talk is one thing, but the reality of the situation is that he who hesitates is dead. If someone comes bursting through your door, you have sub-second timing to determine who's gonna get capped. If you wait to see if he is armed, you will be dead.

Tough talk ??? Evan what you're saying just isn't true. Hesitation has nothing to do with it, it's a lightning decision - if you've ever been in combat (Or police work) you'd understand as even then you often have to make such decisions, and fast. - Is he armed ?? He is! *bang!*

Also remember a burglar will pretty much only break into a house if he thinks it's abandoned, and thus you've got the element of surprise from the very beginning.

Furthermore that no burglar will get a chance in my home isn't tough talk Evan, I know I'm a faster and better shot than anyone who breaks into my house. If anyone breaks into my house with a firearm he will have third eye before he knows it. So poor him who tries..

I remember helping to hold down a thief who tried to steal my neighbor's bicycle many years ago. Had my neighbor decided to shoot him dead with his shotgun as he ran he would be in prison today. However seeing that the thief had no weapons on him he simply ran after him and brought him to the ground. I heard the struggle from my bedroom and wasted no time getting down there to help.

That was the right thing to do in that incident, which was also what the kind officers who came to pick the bastard up told us.

We held him for over 20min, head against the pavement.

To be able to SEE if he has a weapon exposes yourself to the perp. I have seen my share of firefights and as I said before, he who hesitates is dead. Armed or unarmed, the person broke into my house. I don't have time to figure out his intentions. I had a niece kidnapped about 15 years ago. Fortunately, she came home alive after 43 days. I am not about to have that kind of thing happen again in this family.

I remember helping to hold down a thief who tried to steal my neighbor's bicycle many years ago. Had my neighbor decided to shoot him dead with his shotgun as he ran he would be in prison today. However seeing that the thief had no weapons on him he simply ran after him and brought him to the ground. I heard the struggle from my bedroom and wasted no time getting down there to help.

That was the right thing to do in that incident, which was also what the kind officers who came to pick the bastard up told us.

We held him for over 20min, head against the pavement.

And that action warranted that response.

Again understand this Soren - in this part of the world intruder entry into a dwelling is considered a no-nonsense crime. Because of situations were innocent homeowners have been brutally victimized, many municipalities have taken the stance that if some on breaks into your home they are there to do bodily harm to the resident and therefor deadly force is warranted. In my state there is the "Make my Day" law that backs this up and the intruder doesn't even have to be armed. In other states as pointed out if the intruder is not armed and the home owner shoots him it's the home owner who is going to jail.

As far as guns and gun control in this country - the genie been out of the bottle for over a century. The black market availability of guns is huge and difficult to combat, let alone stop. Places with the strictest gun control laws in the US usually have the highest crime rates, kind of funny, don't ya think???

Agreed. I am not talking about someone breaking into my car in the middle of the night, or taking something that is outside. For that, I have no problem with the police dealing with that. Besides, if the want a 14 year old car that is worth next to nothing, they can have it, it's insured. However, once they either cross the door threshold or crawl through the window, there will be no hesitation.

Evan,

Lets say a burglar breaks into your home at night, you wake up hearing a rattling noise downstairs. You pull out your pistol from under your bed, sneak downstairs and see him put a lot of stuff into a bag. One hand holding the bag, the other grabbing stuff.

What do you do ?

Do you quickly place a well aimed shot to the back of his head ? Or do you shout at him to reach for the sky ? Or something else ?

First, I prefer a shotgun for home defense because you have less of a chance of the shot going through the walls and injuring your children. Second, my doors and windows all have sensors, so no one will just sneak in. If he triggers the sensors and still comes in, then god help him. He will be well ventilated and at room temperature when the police arrive to put him in the body bag.

I live in a brick walled house, do nearly all europeans actually so I wont have the problem a 9mm round going through walls.

But seeing you have sensors Evan I doubt you will ever see a burglar inside your house, they'll simply flee in panic as soon as it activates. (Even outdoor movement sensors meant to turn the light on when you walk by are usually enough to make burglars flee in terror) Now if they keep coming despite the alarm, then I would do the same as you agreed, cause then it is pretty much established that this/these guy(s) is/are dangerous.

I didn't think of the alarm as I don't have one myself.

Believe me, shooting the perp is not my preference. I have seen enough of that crap for one lifetime. It is my last line of defense, and it WILL put a stop to him. Motion activated lights are all around my house, as are motion sensors. All points of entry are set to trigger an alarm. If that does not make him go away, he is definitely not here with good intentions.

Do you have children in your house? If so, you may want to consider a shotgun. While the 9mm won't go through the brick, it will go through the interior walls. If you miss, and it could happen, the last thing you want to do is to have it kill one of the people you are trying to protect. Shotgun pellets are very effective at short range, like in home defense, but have a much reduced likelihood of going through walls and killing one of your own.

Nope no children in my house anymore :)

And I agree about the shotgun, but the bedroom is upstairs and the house is all brick, so I prefer my 9mm, which is also much better for confined spaces. Another factor to consider is that all my hunting firearms are locked in a safety vault, so it would take me some time to get them.

158gr LFN .38Spcl are notorious for deep penetration. Ask the FBI. In fact the 5.56x45mm 55gr HP out of an AR will penetrate less. For those worried about penetration, Evan is spot on. 7 shot at house distances is deadly. Though I would recommend 4 shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back