Macchi MC 200 Saetta Smer 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
The sun came out today so I took some pictures of my completed models again. This is the first of the three Italian fighters I have from Smer. The kit was very primitive and needed a lot of filling and sanding. The two parts of the mould seemed to be out of register. This wasn't too much of a problem until it came to the landing gear parts, which were almost un-useable because of it. With a lot of fileing and sanding I managed to make them work but don't look too closely. This was one of my earlier tries with a complicated airbrushed camo. It turned out Ok, but I still hadn't gotton the right balance down between air pressure and thinning. (Have gotten better but still trying to get it right!) The kit had heavy raised rivet detail and after painting, I lightly sanded the surface to bring out the detail.

Macchi%20M_C_200%20Seatta%20Smer%201%3B48%20voor.jpg
PB133596.JPG
PB133597.JPG
PB133598.JPG
PB133599.JPG
PB133601.JPG
PB133602.JPG
PB133603.JPG
PB133605.JPG
PB133604.JPG

Last edited:
The camo job looks great for an early effort - wish mine looked half as good. I just gave up on those mottled patterns, made a mess of them every time.

Very nice. I love to take those old kits and make something out of them. One question: are the underwing insignia's correct ? Should they be facing the same way ?
Ed

i have that kit, remember the engine cowling looked like it needed alot of sanding and filing, alot of flash on it.

Good work Glenn. The Smer kits tend to be very basic, but a lot can be done with them - and they're cheap!
Come to think of it, they are similar to the way most kits were about forty years or more ago !

Thanks every one!

Beautiful! What's the Smer kits like?
Like Terry said above Jan, they are very basic with heavy raised details, but can be made into something nice with some (a lot of) effort, and there dirt cheep, under $10

Very nice. I love to take those old kits and make something out of them. One question: are the underwing insignia's correct ? Should they be facing the same way ?
Ed
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it Ed. It sure looks like the one on the bottom of the left wing was printed backwards.

i have that kit, remember the engine cowling looked like it needed alot of sanding and filing, alot of flash on it.
The entire kit needs a lot of filing and sanding and had loads of flash. When I'm doing some of these Smer kits I think of it as sculpting plastic with a needle file.:lol:

Come to think of it, they are similar to the way most kits were about forty years or more ago !
I think they are old molds from 40 years ago. They defiantly look like they have been around the block a few times. :lol:

Beautiful job on a piece af S*** kit. Built one 40+ years ago when my skills weren't much. It was one of the first to go down to a fireworks "flak" hit.

I think it looks fantastic.....would love to know how to apply that sort of camoflage scheme. is it done with a brush, or airbrush....I suppose the darker motle patterns are applied with a template and airbrush????

My apologies for the dumbass questions, but i have built exactly four models, of which one is now in the trash

Beautiful job on a piece af S*** kit. Built one 40+ years ago when my skills weren't much. It was one of the first to go down to a fireworks "flak" hit.
Thanks Andy, and good to see you back!

I think it looks fantastic.....would love to know how to apply that sort of camoflage scheme. is it done with a brush, or airbrush....I suppose the darker motle patterns are applied with a template and airbrush????
All the camo was done freehand with a double action airbrush. Those little runs were not supposed to be there, I think I had the paint thinned too much, or the air pressure set too high, or both, It was done about 6 years ago and was the first time I had tried anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back