Marcel's photo's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That would be good Marcel, as I'm planning a build, in 1/48th scale, of one of the Typhoons which attacked the Gestapo records office in Dordrecht in 1944. I think it was the Town Hall, but I'd need to check.

I also found that writing to the card is quite slow. which is logical if you know that one image is 30MB instead of 4-6MB. The problem occurs when shooting many pictures in fast succession. The buffer fills up, gets an overflow and the camera ends with an error. So no 'sport setting' when shooting RAW :)

It's not an issue when you're just shooting separate pics, though.

Another problem is that it consumes quite a lot of time when 'developing' the pics. It's part of the fun of course, but you don't want to do this if the pics are not that important to get right. So for the family party I will use the jpg setting.

Sometime the slow write is from the flash card. When I went to faster cards, I was able to get better performance. The Ultra IIIs are pretty quick, but I know there are faster cards than that. It might help a bit for you.

That would be good Marcel, as I'm planning a build, in 1/48th scale, of one of the Typhoons which attacked the Gestapo records office in Dordrecht in 1944. I think it was the Town Hall, but I'd need to check.

That would be the attack on Park Merwestein on 24 october 1944, so not the Town Hall. The building doesn't exist anymore. It was totally destroyed.

Last edited:
That's the one !
I read that it had been destroyed, but if the area where it stood is still as it was in 1944, or similar, it would be good to see what the approach to, and departure from the target was like.

Wonderful photos, Marcel!

This time of year, the contrast of the greens against the dark colors of wood, concrete, etc. is a great subject.

I shoot in RAW (for a Pentax, it's PEF...but same thing) by default and extract the JPG later. It might take up considerable storage space, but it's like storing the negatives from film and you can always go back and make fresh prints later on.

That's the one !
I read that it had been destroyed, but if the area where it stood is still as it was in 1944, or similar, it would be good to see what the approach to, and departure from the target was like.
If we have good weather next week, I'll try to make some pictures of that particular area. It is a very nice park, well out in the open, although in the middle of the town. The bunkers have long gone since and the villa was totally destroyed. I don't know the particulars of that raid, but I remember that there was a controversie about the amount of victims. It is generally believed 300 germans were killed amongst which one general. But the named general was not in Dordrecht anymore at the time of the attack and new research indicates that only 10 german soldiers died. At least 57 civilians were killed, too, so actually it was a very sad affair.

Yes, I believe so. The only account I have read is the one in Volume 2 of 'Second Tactical Air Force', by Shores / Thomas. I'll see if I can copy it, and e-mail it to you later today.

Okay, this one is for Terry. This is Park Merwestein. Before the war there was a villa in the park. It was used by the gestapo as a HQ in Dordrecht and was bombed in 1944 by Typhoons of the RAF. In WW2 there was also a bunker complex. THese were unharmed during the attack and were removed after the war.

The villa was totally destroyed. The only remains is a little side building that is still there. I'm guessing it was the gardener's. On the spot were the building once stood, there is a monument. In the attack, 9 German soldiers died and at least 57 civilians.

Entering the park from the back entrance. The building stood where you see the low green bushes on the right.
2IMG_8021.jpg

Another view in the park
2IMG_8054.jpg

Geese...
2IMG_8026.jpg

2IMG_8051.jpg

2IMG_8049.jpg

The little building that survived
2IMG_8048.jpg

From another angle. I tried a '70ies effect.
2IMG_8033.jpg

There are deer in the park. I'm told they are a rare type. You can see the cage in the back.
2IMG_8035.jpg

A deer up close
2IMG_8046.jpg

Berries...
2IMG_8036.jpg

Looking from the park to the road. THis is taken exactly from where the building stood and seems to me a logical direction from which the typhoons where attacking. It's the only clear way towards the building. The rest is blocked by the rest of the city.
2IMG_8031.jpg

The monument where the house stood. The sign reads: "Suppression and Liberation 1940-1945"
2IMG_8052.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots Marcel, thanks. I agree about the direction of the attack - apparently the rocket-firing Typhoons went in first, with the 'Bombphoons' making a feint attack on a railway bridge not far away, to draw-off the flak, before they followed-up with their bombs. The details, though relatively brief, are in the book I'll send on CD straight after the Christmas holiday, so, with luck, you might have it before New Year.
Thanks again - it's good to see the area concerned, and I can include some of the details you sent me, when I eventually start the build thread.

The little town where I grew up in the north: Winschoten.
Weather was bad during Christmas. First day was rainy and windy and on the second there was much wind.

Just an old building in the town. I did not do lenscorrection as I liked the effect of the distortion here.
IMG_8066.jpg

The tower of the old medival church. The top has been heightened in the previous century.
IMG_8059.jpg

A typical canal in the mist. Winschoterdiep runs from the city of Groningen to the Eems.
IMG_8068.jpg

Park in the mist
IMG_8076.jpg

My car.
IMG_8081.jpg

I especially like the Winschoterdiep photo as you can see that the land next to the dyke is lower than the water in the canal. This you will see quite often here.

Very nice photos Marcel, always like snooping around someone elses neighborhood. I'm also going to look at the RAW option. With my Canon, I have the option of taking a RAW and JPEG photo at the same time though I'm sure that would use a lot of memory.

Geo
I bought myself a 16 GB card, which is sufficient. But I found my old laptop lacking. It has 2 GB memory and an old core-duo processor. While running Arch linux it is fast enough to do the normal things, even faster than my wife's win8 laptop, in calculation it is not so fast. Also the screen is not good enough. So I ordered an laptop with 6 GB memory, a full HD screen and an i5 cpu. Should be enough me thinks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back