Marcel's photo's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some of you saw these already on FB, but wanted to put them here as well. I sometimes tak about the Moerdijk bridges near my house. They span a huge piece of water called the Hollandsdiep. In 1940 these were the bridges that the Germans needed, together with the additional ones in Rotterdam. All the fighting in the rest of the Netherlands were merely a sideshow. There were 2 bridges, one for cars and one for trains. Nowadays there is a 3rd for the highspeed train. Below a view over the tracks of the railway bridge with next to it you can see the newer highspeed bridge.

image.jpg

A heron just found a mole in the dyke.

image.jpg

I was at Bergen op Zoom, where you can find an ancient defence line. It' a nice place to walk.

Defence back in the 1600 era was innundation (flooding the land) together with dykes made of dirt. Here a nice example of the dykes. No stone was used as dirt was considered (and probably rightly so) to be more resistant against gunshots .
IMG_8336.jpg

A replica of a gun of that era.
IMG_8340.jpg

Nature has taken over and it was also icy-cold yesterday.
IMG_8348.jpg

A pigeaon, I just happen to like the picture.
IMG_8369.jpg

Dordrecht where I live is the oldest city of Holland, (not of the Netherlands but still). One of the oldest 'buildings' we still have is the ruins of an old castle, 'Huys te Merwede'. It's also one of the oldest castle ruins in the Netherlands. It's been badly damaged during uprisings in 1418 and then destroyed by flooding in the 'St. Elisabeth flooding' of 1421. It's been a ruin since and the amazing thing is that it is still there. Today, only the west wall of the old dojon is left. There are still foundations left (excavated in 1943) but they are kept under the soil in order to preserve them.

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8434.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back