Me 110 today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got some pictures of the one in Hendon back in 2006. They aren't great as they were taken on my old camera (point and shoot) and the hall is dark. You'll have to sift through the rest of the photos from Hendon, IWM and HMS Belfast but they are there somewhere (too lazy to link them).

London: RAF Museum, Hendon, IWM and HMS Belfast (2006) - a set on Flickr

Would be nice to a fully restored and capable flying one from the series (110/210/410) but as along as there as some still around that could be ground run at the least then it is fitting. The risk of flying them is sometimes just got be accepted as too great.

I can see both sides of the argument. Growing up around old cars, you hear the same debate. When is a car too rare to drive? It seems sad for a old warbird to sit, but it would also be a huge loss for a ware bird to crash and be destroyed. I do agree that the extremely rare ones serve a much greater purpose by sitting on display, and educating the next generations as to what happened and to pass that knowledge on. Passing on that knowledge, and never forgetting is the most important thing IMO.

I'd be flying the hell out of it!!!!!

Then you give your needs priority over every other human being alive today or that will ever live that would like to see an intact BF-110.

wow... not much to say...

Chris, re the RAF Museum. Far as I know, the hall is being restructured, and I believe is due to re-open in time for the main summer season. A quick check on their web-site, nearer the date of your visit to London, might give more info. In the meantime, if I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

Then you give your needs priority over every other human being alive today or that will ever live that would like to see an intact BF-110.

wow... not much to say...

I suspect more people would see it if it was flying around to different places then would see it sitting in a single museum. Why have any old warplane fly then.

I'm all for restoring warbirds to flying condition and display them on air shows in order to as much people possible could see them, but the point is if you fly it - you risk loosing it. Accidents do happen. If there's only one or two preserved examples of aircraft in question, then isn't the safer course of action to keep it on static display.

If there was only one preserved example of Spitfire in entire world, would you fly it or keep it safe on the groud?

Last edited:
It's a tough one. No matter what you do with a warbird it will be at risk; put it on display and the roof could collapse, the building could burn down, it could be vandalised etc etc. I think it is a bit different from old cars in that pottering around in a classic car at 20mph is unlikely to cause any major damage whereas if the engine in a plane cuts out mid flight then that's pretty much it!

Chris, re the RAF Museum. Far as I know, the hall is being restructured, and I believe is due to re-open in time for the main summer season. A quick check on their web-site, nearer the date of your visit to London, might give more info. In the meantime, if I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

Yes I just saw that. It will not be open while I am there! Damn!!!!

Aw! What a darn shame! Well, you can still see the rest, and there's always the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth, London, and the Science Museum, Kensington. Not that much in the way of aviation exhibits at the latter, compared to dedicated air museums, but they do have a Hurricane Mk 1 and Spitfire Mk1, both veterans of the Bob and, AFAIK, still in their original paint finish.

I suspect more people would see it if it was flying around to different places then would see it sitting in a single museum. Why have any old warplane fly then.
Just a comment here, but the world's last surviving complete Zero was on static display in Southern California and plenty of people have gotten to see it and in more ways than one. It has provided people the ability to not only see what a 100% original looks like, but restoration experts have used it as a "template" to restore rebuild other aircraft like it.

I can see the need to show the people what these machines were like, and the only good way to do that is by going on tour and show the people what it can do. On the other hand, only seeing it in a museum is a heck of alot better than only being able to remember what it looked like before it crashed.

Just imagine if they had restored the world's only Ho229 at the NASM years ago, with all of it's original parts, only to have it crash it during an airshow. We wouldn't be able to do any modern research on it today and as it fades from living memory, all we'd have is notes and photos of what it was...

Once thier numbers (and thier parts) fall below a critical level, they should be retired from thier long service and preserved.

:)

Just watched a docu on PBS called "Red Tail Reborn" about the P-51C that was restored by the CAF only to crash 3 years after first flight. As much as I want to see a rare bird fly, I also don't want something like that to happen as the pilot, Don Hinz was killed.

Just a comment here, but the world's last surviving complete Zero was on static display in Southern California and plenty of people have gotten to see it and in more ways than one.

That is not true. There are quite a few surviving Zeros that are complete with original parts. The Planes of Fame Zero is or was the only fully complete one that was still flying however.

Exactly, the only complete flyable Zero. Great link as well.

Actually if I remeber right a couple of years ago there where two complete zeros flying. The other one was a A6M3 but has since been grounded due to corrision in the main wing spar. So it was sold and is now on display at the Pearl Harbor musuem.

If I ever become a multi-millionaire, you can bet I would buy a reproduction 190 or 110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back