Me-323 is a bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasn't one of the Kennedys killed in an RB-17 (I think that was the designation, but I could be wrong)? As for bombs, the biggest one of all in WW2 was the Grand Slam at 22,000 pounds, designed by Barnes Wallis and dropped from a modified Lancaster. It was used on places like the Ems canal and Beilefelde viaduct; it was said to have disarranged them somewhat.
The largest German bomb (again from imperfect memory) was 2,000kg.

Joe Kennedy was killed in one of the B-24s they used for the Aphrodite project. For some reason, the word spread it was a B-17 and has persisted for years. I actually spoke to a photographer from that time at the museum a few years ago that had taken pictures of one of the Aphrodite airplanes that crashed near Oxford. The crater was huge and miraculously, no one was hurt.

I think the rumor existed about Kennedy flying a B-17 because there were many at the base where Kennedy operated out of. A good friend of the family was stationed there and met Joe Kennedy, he said he was a real jerk, but that's another story....

I stand corrected about Joe Kennedy; it's nice to get the facts straight when you've laboured under a misapprehension. Thanks.

poprune said:
The largest German bomb (again from imperfect memory) was 2,000kg.

The largest was 2500kg but still small compared to the largest bombs of other countries.

German Bomb Types

A super bomber Me323 actually makes more sense than the idiotic Mistel bomber "thingy", probably could even fill it with fuel to fly USA-> Germany return.

I can't get over the fact they spent years developing the Mistel
Some 250 Mistels of various combinations were built during the war, but they met with limited success.
limited success is procurement officer speak for total failure

Lt Joseph Kennedy, Jr. USNR. It was a converted B-24. Kennedy had 25 missions, then volunteered for Project Aphrodite. Not only were there B-17s at the same base, but one may have been involved with the mission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread