Members Airshow meet, 'Flying Legends' 2017 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
After a really great long weekend at Duxford for the BoB 75th Anniversary show, with Andy (Crimea River) and Jeff (Hunt) from Canada, his friend Jason from the USA, and Karl (Rochie),his daughter April, and myself, we got talking about trying to organise a bigger, better meeting of forum members, from as many countries as possible, at one of the World's biggest and best 'warbird' air displays - 'Flying Legends', at Duxford, UK.

It's evident from the posts in the Duxford BoB 75 threads, that there is some genuine interest in getting together, and I therefore propose that those interested aim for 'Legends' in 2017, which should allow plenty of time to organise, arrange and save for the event, rather than try to 'cram it in' next year, when people probably already have holiday plans and / or other commitments.
The event is always held over two days, on the second weekend in July and, as with other major shows at this historic WW2 airfield, hotel and B&B accommodation is always fully booked up in advance, so reservations need to be made early, another good reason for planning so far ahead.
Although it would be nice to have all those attending staying at the same hotel (or other accommodation), I realise that the travel arrangements, duration of stay, logistics and other factors could possibly preclude this, but I'm sure that we could at least arrange a suitable venue for a 'social gathering' at some point during the event.
Karl and I normally travel to the area on the Saturday, attend the show on the Sunday, then visit either Duxford or another museum on the Monday, returning home on the Tuesday, when we use a campsite at Fowlmere, literally 'just up the road' from DX. Although perhaps not ideal for some, the campsite could possibly be a useful, and convenient alternative, to hotels which may be located further from DX, and, of course, it would cost a lot less.
I think that extra camping equipment could easily be arranged and sorted, ready for those who wish to utilise this facility, and I'd be willing to organise this aspect, along with any other help I could provide to potential visitors.
For those who would definitely prefer more substantial accommodation, then again, I am willing to locate and advise on hotel and B&B possibilities within a convenient distance from DX, and provide information on transport etc.
Depending on how many would ultimately attend, such things as 'mini bus' transport could be arranged, as well as 'block-booking' of accommodation, and 'Group Tickets' for the airshow itself.
The nearest airports for those travelling from the North American Continent, are London Heathrow and London Gatwick, which also serve flights from most of the World, with London Stanstead, and Luton, also catering for flights from Europe.
Anyone travelling to Manchester could possibly have the dubious pleasure of being driven to Duxford by yours truly, as I live only 12 miles from this International Airport !

So, the idea has now been publicly posted, there's 21 months in which to plan, organise and implement the proposal, and all we need now are names and numbers !
How many takers ?

Sounds good to me Terry and thanks for posting. Penciled in with firm pressure on the nub. Jo-Anne might be interested in coming along as well.

Based on my recent experience, it's clear that the Holiday Inn Express at Duxford is the most convenient hotel, within walking distance of the field. There are B&B's in the area and I stayed at one in Little Shelford, approximately a 40 minute walk north east of the field in 2010. This year, because I left it a bit late, the closest accommodation I could find was in Royston to the west, which on the best day was just a 6 minute cab ride from the field. Unfortunately, taxis are the only convenient public transport to Duxford and run about 20 pounds per trip. I was surprised to hear that there are no buses running between the two towns.

I gratefully accepted the generous rides offered by my local hosts but we should not rely on that as a plan.

Yes, the Holiday Inn Express at Whittlesford certainly seems the best, and closest option. It's possible to walk from there to the airfield, as Andy stated, and as Jeff and Jason discovered, but if all those going stayed at this hotel, perhaps hiring a mini-bus would make life easier, as the M11 junction has to be crossed at the end of the walk. Not a major problem, but it's a busy 'roundabout', and delays could happen !

Good stuff David - the more the merrier, literally !

I understand that it can be a relatively expensive trip for those coming from North America/Canada, and the Antipodes, but apart from being well worth it in terms of the airshow, and meeting-up with forum friends, it could be combined with a longer holiday - a week, two weeks or whatever - in order to 'kill two birds with one stone' (not Politically correct these days. I'm sure !) and get value for money (and time) spent.
For the BoB show, I designed and printed name badges for those attending, which showed a BoB 75 logo, the ww2 aircraft.net name above the country flag, and, of course, the wearer's name, and obtained an American and Canadian flag for the awning of the 'Tin Tent', all of which added to the sense of being a 'group'.
No doubt I'll do something similar, and more, for the 3017 meeting, probably adding a package of info and guide book type notes.

Good stuff David - the more the merrier, literally !.....No doubt I'll do something similar, and more, for the 3017 meeting, probably adding a package of info and guide book type notes.

I may have trouble getting the time off in 2017 as we rotate getting the summer prime time vacation period; my turn being next year. I'll work on it. I'm definitely going to have trouble attending the 3017 meet. I'll work on that as well.

Geo

Oops ! Typo with the date !
I think you could be right there Karl. maybe we better pre-warn the brewery - especially if Jason comes again !!

Looks like it's gonna be one he!!ava party!!
Can't get plane of hotel reservations this far ahead but I've been looking at priceing for flights and rooms for next year just to get an idea of the cost and it looks like I'll be able to swing it. Only problem now is getting A couple of weeks off in July.

Splendid chaps !
The list is growing already and yes, it will be a heck of a party !!
I think a couple of 50 gallon oil drums, cut down the middle, might be needed for the BBQ Karl - and a truck load of charcoal too !

As already said elsewhere, me and the girl are in and really looking forward to it, what a gathering this could turn out to be. That Old Speckled Hen sound good especially as a Green King has not passed my lips in ……..oh…………..50 years plus, I was almost weaned on their Harvest Ale.

I might be able to make it...

Yeah righty, I'll be in my normal position ! :)

Attachments

• 11742881_857200624355547_800353371555462931_n.jpg
    11742881_857200624355547_800353371555462931_n.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 141
Dogsbody, April already has a plan for this !

If she is at uni in Nottingham, i will pick her up on the way past, if at london she will get the train but if she is in Liverpool she reckons you could swing by in the tin tent ! :lol:

As already said elsewhere, me and the girl are in and really looking forward to it, what a gathering this could turn out to be. That Old Speckled Hen sound good especially as a Green King has not passed my lips in ……..oh…………..50 years plus, I was almost weaned on their Harvest Ale.

I was just sayin' to my missus you were on the Yes list Vic..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back